It can be difficult—at a glance—to reconcile the Jesus we see in the New Testament with much of the Old Testament. But when we dig deeper, he is there, in the lives and stories of some of our most beloved Old Testament heroes. These ten youth group sessions for middle school and senior high youth groups include studies of Abraham, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, Samson, Hosea, David, Adam and Eve, and Ruth, Naomi, and Boaz.
Each session centers on a specific character or story and includes:
- THE BACKGROUND—an overview of the Scripture passage and character for leaders
- THE INTRO—a relevant activity or game that prepares your group for the Scripture and discussion ahead
- THE STUDY—Scripture and discussion questions you can gear for your group
- THE GLIMPSE OF JESUS—parallels to and/or foreshadowing of Jesus found in the Bible story and character studied
- THE NEXT STEP—practical life applications for teens
Table of Contents
How to Use This Material
SESSION ONE: ADAM AND EVE
SESSION TWO: ABRAHAM
SESSION THREE: JACOB
SESSION FOUR: JOSEPH
SESSION FIVE: MOSES
SESSION SIX: SAMSON
SESSION SEVEN: RUTH, NAOMI, AND BOAZ SESSION EIGHT: HOSEA
SESSION NINE: DAVID
SESSION TEN: JONAH
About Eric Ballard
Eric Ballard, an outdoor enthusiast, is a youth and college pastor in Texas. With an undergraduate degree in educational psychology from Mississippi State University, he also has an advanced degree from New Orleans Baptist Seminary in Christian education. Married with two beautiful daughters, Eric enjoys anything involving the outdoors, especially if it is sports related. Although he and his family call the Houston area home, he hopes to live long enough to see his beloved Mississippi State Bulldogs win a national championship.
Fill out the form below and we’ll send you a sample lesson.