Marah’s talk at The Summit was one which caused a lot of people to take notice. Dosomething.org is a relatively new, relatively small organization which directly engages and activates more than a million teenagers. (With a goal of 10,000,000)
They do that mostly through social networking and text messaging and mostly without adult involvement.
Watch this video with your student ministry team and spend some time reflecting on what Dosomething.org is doing to activate teenagers around causes they care about. We’ve provided some sample questions, but don’t be limited to these questions. Run with it and let us know what you come up with in the comments.
Questions for Reflection
- What are your rules for getting students involved? Are your rule inhibiting anyone from getting involved?
- Do you know the top causes for the teenagers in your life?
- How are you making volunteering social?
- What’s your organizations text messaging strategy for activating teenagers?
- Marah talks about impregnating students phones to get students to talk about being a teen pregnancy, what’s a call to action you want to activate students to think about?
- If students don’t want to be in the spotlight, how does that impact your student leadership philosophy?
- What’s an incentive that could help motivate your students?