Energetic Experienced Full-Time Youth Pastor Needed
St John Baptist Church, located in Columbia, MD, is currently seeking a Youth Pastor to join our team on a full-time basis. St John Baptist Church is a spirit filled organization and we require an experienced forward thinking Youth Pastor that can keep up with our fast moving pace. Our congregation is currently topping out at around 1900 members of which @ 232 fall between the ages of 5 and 18. The youth program however ministers to youth beginning as young as 3 years of age.
Lead, plan, evaluate and administer a comprehensive youth ministry relevant to today’s youth, taking into consideration the spiritual, physical, recreational, social and psychological development of youth. Direct the programs of the youth ministry to include, but not limited to, age appropriate Worship Services for children and youth, Sunday School classes, Mission opportunities, Discipleship Training, and Social Justice activities consistent with the vision of the Sr. Pastor. Develop and maintain a scheduled program of spiritual guidance and education for youth programs in accordance with the Baptist Faith and Sound Doctrine.
- Relate the youth to the overall life of the church and the church to the needs of its youth. Lead youth to recognize the call of God in their life relating to vocation. Enlist the youth in worship, Bible study, prayer, and other Christian activities.
- Conduct weekly services and/or ministry activities.
- Develop, promote, and actively participate in youth programs that provide spiritual growth, fellowship activities and community engagement such as mission opportunities, camps, retreats, and community service projects.
- Establish a regular program of visitation for and with the youth in cooperation with the overall church outreach program. Visit the local elementary, middle and high schools, and have personal contact with students at school-approved times. Maintain one-to-one contact with individual youth with an emphasis on reaching not just the youth, but the entire family.
- Counsel/coach and/or provide appropriate programming for students and/or their parents on issues relating to salvation, their overall spiritual life, peer pressure, college choice, vocation selection, dating, life-mate, social and family relationships, and be available to listen and love our youth.
- Participate in associational, state, international and convention-sponsored youth programs/events or mission activities.
- Encourage students to participate in other church programs offered and sponsored by the church.
- Provide recreational and fellowship activities for youth.
- Implement changes in the youth ministry as needed for organization, space use, equipment and furnishing needs, policies and procedures, materials, programs, curriculum and education methods, after coordination with the staff member to which the Youth Pastor reports.
- Enlist and train servant volunteers and paid youth workers. Manage, motivate, instruct, and coordinate the activities of the youth ministry teams. Ensure all team members are trained to lead youth to salvation and to nurture them in their Christian development. Ensure adequate adult sponsors are present for all youth programs and activities.
- Ensure youth leaders and volunteers are in compliance with the church child protection policy and establish whatever policy (ies) is lacking.
- Train youth in outreach, discipleship and evangelism.
- Visit youth and youth leaders during difficult times, illnesses and hospital stays.
- Provide guidance and training, as needed and/or requested, to ministries with youth participants.
- Develop and expand youth ministry offerings to meet the growing needs of the youth.
- Serve when asked and needed on Church leadership committees to ensure that youth and youth perspectives are considered and are a part of all church strategic planning.
- Manage resources, tools, and equipment used within the youth ministry.
- Attend church-wide activities/functions and extracurricular activities to develop rapport with the community and all students, not just the students of SJBC. Be an active and visible member of the community.
- Evaluate and review the youth ministry area and all youth programs annually with the staff member to which the Youth Pastor reports. Ensure programs are effective and reaching youth and their families for Christ.
- Ensure designated youth volunteer leaders are registered with the church’s insurance to drive the church vans.
- Serve on community boards and/or organizations as a St John Baptist Church representative as directed by the staff member to which the Youth Pastor reports
- Attend PATH meetings and actions relating to the youth issues.
- Conduct research and write reports and articles required to support the PATH actions targeting Youth.
- Preach as needed, particularly for Youth Sundays and youth events.
- Conduct and Oversee the Youth New Member’s Orientation on a monthly basis.
- Conduct meetings with Youth Leadership Team and Youth to collaborate in short-term and long-range planning for and evaluation of the various youth ministry areas.
- In collaboration with the Technology Specialist, assure that technology is being used to provide an electronic record-keeping system for all youth ministry related information.
- Work closely with the Youth Leadership Team to carry out the church youth program and prepare an annual budget for ministry needs. Administer the approved budget according to church policy.
- Manage expenditures, submission of receipts for expenses, cash allowances and surplus cash at the end of trips, events and activities to assure budget compliance.
- Oversee Youth fundraising efforts recommended to the staff member to whom the Youth Pastor reports and approved by the Trustee Board
Staff Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Responsible and accountable to the staff member designated by the Sr. Pastor.
- Meet with the staff for prayer and planning.
- Duties may be modified for the benefit of church and staff as directed by staff member to which the Youth Pastor reports.
- Assist the Sr. Pastor and staff in evaluating the total church program and its needs.
- Assist in hospital and funeral home visitation of youth related members/leaders.
- Other duties as assigned by staff member to which the Youth Pastor reports
- Have a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ, and have taken the step of believer’s baptism.
- Meet qualifications set forth in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9.
- Must have at least a Master’s degree in divinity, theology, youth ministry, youth guidance, or other faith related education.
- Must have at least three years’ experience in a successful and growing youth ministry position.
- A passion and heart for the youth and youth ministry.
- Relational, personable, fun and energizing.
- Proficiency in technology tools and social media in order to connect to young people.
- Successfully pass personal background check
- Ability to work flexible, full-time schedule to include days, evenings, weekends and holidays.
Compensation: Salary will be determined by level of education and ministry experience.
Benefits: Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Paid Sick and Vacation Leave, SEP Retirement Plan
Denomination: Progressive National Baptist Convention Inc. & American Baptist USA Inc.
Church Size: 1,900+ members
Qualified candidates should submit their resumes as soon as possible to email@example.com. Only those candidates meeting the requirements in the position description and having the experience required will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls please.
St John Baptist Church
American Baptist Church
9055 Tamar Dr, Columbia
November 8, 2017