THE SALVATION ARMY
USA WESTERN TERRITORIAL HEADQUARTERS
POSITION TITLE: YOUTH MEDIA PRODUCER
STATUS: FULL TIME EXEMPT
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by love for God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and meet human needs in his name without discrimination.
The Salvation Army is a branch of the Christian Church and the ultimate goal of all programs is the spiritual regeneration of all people
SCOPE OF POSITION:
The Youth Media Producer works alongside the Territorial Youth Department in a creative position that requires the majority of time and creative energy (more than 51%) to be spent in producing, creating and directing media projects for distribution via video or web interface.
This is a responsible position, requiring a high level of creativity, project management, independent thinking and planning along with a high degree of trustworthiness, and an ability to work closely with youth department staff under minimum direct supervision. The position also requires extensive knowledge and understanding of the creative process in producing video, print and web projects from start to finish. The ideal candidate will have a thorough understanding of youth culture, experience in youth event production, and innovative ideas for utilizing all forms of modern media for communicating with young people.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
- College Degree with emphasis in Motion Picture or Video Production.
- Experience in project management, from concept design, through production planning to final production of work.
- Strong command of oral and written English; Spanish would be an advantage.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Outstanding creative skills to produce cutting edge media.
- Extensive knowledge and ability to design, produce, direct and record video projects and audio projects (podcasts).
- Extensive knowledge in print and web media production.
- Ability to think creatively, with minimal direction, producing cutting edge concepts for projects..
- Ability to manage all aspects of media projects, including but not limited casting, location / theme development, script writing, filming, audio sweetening, animation, encoding for various formats and delivery systems
- Ability to work in a team environment to understand global concepts, and then ability to take the global concept and develop innovative and creative projects that support the direction of the team.
- Extensive knowledge of Video Editing software,
- Extensive knowledge of Graphic design tools… preferably Adobe Creative Suite, including excellent skills in Photoshop
- An ability to learn new technologies and to explore ways to creatively use these technologies for the advancement of the mission.
- A broad knowledge and experience with The Salvation Army, or another branch of the Christian Church with similar doctrine, beliefs and practices is required.
- Extensive working knowledge with both of the following operating systems, Windows, Mac
- Ability to communicate effectively with officers, staff and employees on all levels
- Ability to work with IT, graphic, multimedia and web specialists at THQ
- Ability to work well under pressure, giving attention to detail.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Youth Media Specialist will have the following primary responsibilities:
- Produce, direct and edit creative and innovative videos for use via Saynetwork social media channels. Content would include creative insights, helpful tips, testimonies, and/or devotional thoughts.
- Produce video recordings of all Youth Department events, for podcasting and webcasting, and web blogging, including Western Youth Institute, Bible Bowl, DLYC, Boot Camp, Youth Events at Commissioning and Welcome of Cadets.
- Produce, direct, write and edit video projects for promotional use and program content for Youth events such as Territorial Youth Events, Divisional Youth Events and camps as needed.
- Convert Territorial Youth Department promotional campaigns to social media assets that can be distributed across all channels.
- Teach in the areas of Youth Culture, Web and Youth Media at various Youth Retreats, Camps and Territorial Institutes as requested.
- Serve of the creative planning team for Youth Department events.
- Serve as the Territorial liaison to the National SA Gaming ministry to local gaming ministries.
- Collect and archive all “youth event” media and share with the Territorial Multimedia team for the Territorial Archives.
- Responsible for the collection and/or coordination for two to four yearly postings young adults around the territory. Create and oversee a blog site related to Bible study outlines.
- Research the web for new and innovative ways to display content to keep our online media presence cutting edge and relevant. When applicable, work with IT to achieve this.
- Manage the budget for specific projects, including purchasing of outside media for inclusion in projects.
- Coordinate with divisions to form a pool of contributors for the website and other SA publications i.e. writers, photographers, video and podcasters.
- Responsible for researching and posting links on our online media presence that will benefit our users and The Salvation Army.
- Coordinate with THQ Youth Department staff to provide current and accurate information on upcoming youth related events.
- Work with other THQ departments in collecting and posting resources and information on THQ websites.
- Daily monitor the Youth Department online media presence posting responses and updates
- Coordinate with the IT Department on the ongoing development and updates of our websites (Saynetwork, Redwoods, Service Corps)
- Collaborate with Multimedia Ministries on projects related to youth ministry or youth stories from the territory.
- Remain current on the software and programs related to this position.
- Communicate regularly with the Youth Department staff and attend weekly staff meetings.
- As necessary, attend and participate in Youth Department events related to this position.
- Serve on the production team for all Territorial Events as required.
Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation. A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the job or work environment in order to meet the physical requirements of the position. The Salvation Army will attempt to satisfy requests as long as the accommodation needed is reasonable and no undue hardship would result.
- Ability to sit, walk, stand, bend, squat, climb, kneel, and twist on an intermittent or continuous basis.
- Ability to grasp, push, pull objects such as files, file cabinet drawers, and reach overhead.
- Ability to operate telephone.
- Ability to operate a desktop or laptop computer.
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs. (usually file boxes).
- Ability to access and produce information from a computer.
- Ability to understand written information.
REPORTS TO: TERRITORIAL DIRECTOR OF YOUTH MINISTRIES
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
The Salvation Army
30840 Hawthorne Blvd, Rancho Palos Verdes
May 4, 2021