First United Methodist Church of Fort Smith, Arkansas, is seeking a full-time staff member for youth and young adult ministries. Fort Smith is a wonderful small city with many attractions in a beautiful part of Arkansas. FUMC is a historical downtown church with a tradition of strong youth ministry and potential for growth. Successful candidate will take initiative, build teams, disciple, and organize well. The Director of Youth & Young Adult Ministries leads youth (grades 6-12) and young adults (ages 18-30) to become Biblically informed and spiritually transformed disciples who make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
Essential Job Functions:
- Work alongside supervisor, staff, and laity to implement youth programming consistent with church-wide goals and efforts.
- Recruit and equip laity (including but not limited to parents) for ministry with youth.
- Equip and empower student leadership at appropriate levels.
- Execute a comprehensive youth ministry program including: Sunday School, Sunday morning worship, Sunday evenings, Wednesday evenings, retreats, and other events/programs.
- Develop and maintain youth calendar by planning weekly emphases and major events well in advance. Coordinate calendar with church-wide calendar and youth needs/conflicts.
- Actively engage staff and pastors in prompt, professional communication including attending to email, phone calls, meetings, etc.
- Prepare annual youth ministry budget in consultation with supervisor and Business Administrator.
- Attend closely to the youth ministry budget and spending as it relates to the year-long programming needs. Promptly complete financial paperwork.
- Maintain all youth-related spaces (the LOFT, classrooms, storage, etc.) so that they are clean, well-organized, and create a hospitable environment for youth ministry.
- Oversee technical equipment of the LOFT so that everything is regularly in good, working order. Seek training and/or professional assistance when necessary.
- Develop positive, appropriate relationships with youth.
- Maintain professional relationships with parents/guardians that foster mutual trust and respect.
- Schedule regular, appropriate visits with youth outside of church including supporting them at school functions (sports, music, drama, etc.).
- Actively maintain multiple forms of communication regarding youth program (phone, email, social media, group and individual text messaging, church newsletter and bulletin, etc.).
- Actively promote FSFUMC and youth program in relationships, through various media, and in the community.
- Regularly seek out and invite new/additional youth/families to be involved.
- Develop relationships with local high schools and junior high schools working to build relationships with students when possible.
- Encourage continued discipleship of graduating seniors by submitting their contact information to respective campus ministries.
- Plan and execute appropriate young adult ministry in support of church members of that age and as outreach to young adults in the community (e.g., local university and medical school)
- Emphasize with young adults regular participation in FSFUMC worship, development of discipleship groups, and missions/service opportunities.
- Bachelor of Arts/Science degree.
- Experience in youth/young adult ministry.
- Understanding of and commitment to Wesleyan theology and The United Methodist Church.
Send resume to: email@example.com
Fort Smith First United Methodist Church
United Methodist Church
200 N.15th Street
May 12, 2022