Parklane Christian Reformed Church Portland, OR
Position: Full-Time Youth and Family Discipleship Pastor
Summary: Manage youth programs and outreach for a 160-member church in an ethnically diverse, growing community, with a focus on discipleship and neighborhood evangelism.
1) To facilitate activities that will enable elementary, middle and high school students—from within and outside our church—to develop deeper relationships with Christ and greater understanding of the Christian faith from a Reformed perspective.
2) To welcome new people to our church family through youth ministries and neighborhood evangelistic outreach.
3) Partner with and support parents to disciple their children.
Oversee long-term strategic planning for youth ministry programs at Parklane CRC as follows:
- Evaluate and refine current goals and activities, and develop new goals and activities as needed.
- Implement a cohesive strategy for outreach and evangelism to Parklane area youth.
- Coordinate youth ministries with other Parklane ministries and with those of other churches, schools and community organizations.
- Recruit, develop and empower youth leaders to assist with the youth programs.
- Provide clear and effective communication with families and congregation.
1) Facilitate elementary, middle school and high school programs to deepen relationships with Christ:
- Disciple, support and befriend individual students and families on an ongoing basis.
- Plan and/or lead weekly meetings among all age groups.
- Lead education (including catechetical) during Sunday School and participate in corporate worship, both morning and evening.
2) Work with PREP (a release-time education program with the public schools next door to our church) on a weekly basis during the school year.
3) Pursue new opportunities for evangelism in the community:
- Develop existing relationships with families, schools and community organizations.
- Incorporate members of PREP, Arabic Assembly of God (a church who shares our building), and other youth (and their families, where possible) into the life Parklane CRC.
- Explore new avenues for further relational ministry.
4) Offer support to other youth ministry elements:
- Teach and lead as part of a summer Vacation Bible School.
- Participate in and help plan Camp Calvin (grades 6-8) each summer.
- Develop and participate in community service activities and mission trips as feasible.
5) Communicate ministry progress, needs and concerns as matters for prayer:
- Promote youth ministry activities to individuals and to the congregation as part of corporate worship, in the bulletin, and through electronic communication.
- Report to the council and congregation on a monthly basis.
6) Coordinate with worship team to enhance participation of youth in corporate worship.
- Coordinate with pastor to create a weekly children’s bulletin to enhance participation in corporate worship.
- Coordinate with pastor for youth to be involved in ways that fit their age and giftedness (e.g. bible reading, prayer, etc.)
- Plan and lead entire AM worship service, including worship planning and preaching, one Sunday per year.
- Preach in a worship service 10-12 times a year.
7) A commitment to developing ministry skills through continuing education is required. Council will approve expenditures toward classes, workshops, conferences, etc.
8) Additional duties as assigned.
- Love for Christ, mature personal faith, well-grounded knowledge of Christian scripture and theology, and a passion for youth outreach is required.
- A theological master’s degree in youth ministries, evangelism, or a related field is preferred. Five to seven years experience may be substituted.
- Strong skills for organization, long-term planning and self-direction are necessary.
- Bilingual capacity (Spanish, Arabic or Russian) is a plus.
- Immediately responsible to the Pastor, ultimately responsible to the Council.
- A quarterly ministry review will be done for the first year. Semi-annual review in subsequent years.
Term of Employment:
- Three to five year commitment, with mutual option for further partnership. Longterm commitment preferred.
- Salary and compensation package, including health insurance, travel allowance, etc. is commiserate with experience and education.
- Hospitality and continuing education budget available.
Candidates may respond via email to email@example.com
or via mail at Parklane Church, 16001 SE Main St, Portland, OR 97233.
Parklane Christian Reformed Church
Christian Reformed Church in North America
16001 SE Main Street Portland, Oregon 97233
May 29, 2018