Position Title: Worship Leader
Department: Worship General / Mountain View
Supervisor: Campus Pastor, Mountain View
Direct Reports: n/a
Classification: Regular / Full time / Exempt
Menlo is a multisite church in the San Francisco Bay area and a member of ECO: A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians. All our locations comprise one church where everyone is welcome, nobody’s perfect, and anything’s possible. The Worship Leader is a key member of our team in Mountain View, California. As part of a multisite church, our Mountain View Worship Leader needs to have a strong collaborative nature and be able to work in a matrix organization. You’ll work closely with our Mountain View team and report directly to the Mountain View Campus Pastor. In addition, you’ll have a dotted line reporting relationship with the Director of Weekend Experience and collaborate with Worship Leaders from other locations.
Our Mountain View Campus Worship Leader must model what it means to live a faith-filled life with integrity. You must be above reproach as you provide spiritual leadership to our Mountain View congregation and Menlo Church as a whole. You will work with the Campus Pastor and other staff to cast vision, implement programming and services, and inspire others to love and follow Jesus more deeply. You will serve as the primary upfront platform worship leader for the Mountain View Campus. However, your primary responsibility is off the platform to recruit, equip, develop, shepherd, disciple and lead musicians and production team members to a high level of spiritual maturity and professional artistic excellence to facilitate and create thriving worship experiences. The Worship Leader at Mountain View will also provide leadership and coaching to the student leaders and their worship teams. In addition to overseeing weekly gatherings, you will work with the Director of Weekend Experience and Worship Leaders from our other locations to plan and execute special events, including online worship services and Easter and Christmas services.
One of the great things about our Mountain View campus is that we have a thriving family-centered congregation. With so many families, young children, and middle and high school students, it is important our new Worship Leader has a heart for raising up students and discipling families. Our Worship Leader needs to bring high energy, enthusiasm, and fun to connect with our congregation. We know worship is not about being in the spotlight or putting on a show. We are looking for someone who knows and loves Jesus, is sensitive to the Holy Spirit’s leading, creates an environment where people can draw closer to God, and is a servant leader. Our ideal candidate will be spiritually mature, a strong collaborator and communicator, and be committed to finding and developing volunteers. At Menlo Church, our staff is a team of humble, hopeful, and gritty Jesus-followers who do what we do so that people can find and follow Jesus.
- Work as a cohesive unit with our Mountain View team, shaping the future of our campus.
- Work with the Mountain View campus staff to plan and execute events and services to reach our neighborhood (weekly worship services, Easter, Serve Your City, Christmas, Starting Point, and special drive-through events).
- Design weekly and special event services in collaboration with the Campus Pastor and the Director of Weekend Experience, utilizing the worship song pool and supporting the teaching series and overall Menlo worship flow and ethos.
- Work with Director of Weekend Experience to help build a musical direction and brand that is uniquely Menlo’s.
- Serve as one of the primary platform worship leaders for all worship services and experiences.
- Provide musical direction for worship services: clear roadmaps, charts, and coaching to musicians and vocalists. Create and use tracks with Ableton.
- Build high-impact worship bands that play with passion, excellence, professionalism, and purpose.
- Provide leadership for weekend services, including utilizing and directing two teams of volunteers, the Musicians and AVL & Tech (lighting, slides, projectors, & sound), overseeing set up, walk through, rehearsal, and clean up.
- Manage scheduling and communication with volunteers utilizing Planning Center (PCO).
- Responsible for stage design and overall look and feel of the worship space.
- Share up-front leadership and communication responsibilities with the Campus Pastor and assist with pastoral duties as needed.
- Support worship for Students’ program in collaboration with the Director of Student Ministries.
- Manage multiple projects, prioritize tasks, and intelligently delegate.
- If approved for Menlo ministerial licensing, participate in training and administer baptism and communion as requested.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships by actively living out and championing our staff values of teamwork and being humble, hopeful, and gritty.
- Additional duties and special projects as assigned by the Campus Pastor, Mountain View.
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education and Experience
- Minimum 2-years’ experience leading worship in a variety of settings
- Demonstrated ability recruiting, training, and developing volunteer teams
- Demonstrated experience overseeing, shepherding, and leading lay leaders in ministry
- High school diploma or equivalency
Preferred Education and Experience
- Leading discipleship and spiritual development in a church setting
- Working in a church with multiple locations
- Familiarity with Menlo Church, specifically Mountain View campus and community
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to lead effectively in front of small and large groups
- Must be able to lead worship from a primary instrument
- High Emotional Intelligence (EQ)
- Strong written and spoken communication skills
- Proficient musical abilities
- Pastoral heart
- Strong theological foundation
- Knowledgeable about worship ministry best practices
- Positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills
- Team player and team builder with a focus on the vision of the whole church
- Proficiency with common office & worship applications and collaboration tools (i.e., Office 365, Zoom, PCO, Ableton Live, & Pro Presenter)
- Ability to learn new software and programs
- Stand for prolonged amounts of time
- Walk, bend, twist, and kneel
- Climb up and down stairs
- Finger and hand dexterity to operate computer, musical instruments, and production tools
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color vision, and peripheral vision; and the ability to adjust focus
- Lift and carry up to 20 pounds with or without assistance
- This job typically operates in a professional office or church environment with standard office equipment such as computers, printers, filing cabinets, and telephones
- This position rehearses and leads in a worship setting with lots of large and small equipment, cables, stage lights, and other visual stimuli.
- Days and hours of work are usually Sunday-Thursday with an occasional Friday, Saturday, or evening, as needed
- Effective November 1, all Menlo Staff will be required to abide by the Menlo COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
Menlo Church Spiritual Requirements
- Must have an intimate, personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- Must be a committed disciple of Christ and committed to serving God and the body of Christ
- Must have compatible theology in alignment with ECO essential tenets
- Must be pursuing or active in a community of believers who can speak truth into your life
ECO: A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians
774 Cuesta Drive
November 10, 2021