Student Ministry Director (Middle and High School)
At Saint Matthew, we believe the church of today and tomorrow begins with students and their families. The Director of Student Ministry will provide leadership and direction to all aspects of Saint Matthew’s Student Ministry. The Director of Student Ministry will be capable of overseeing and delivering innovative, sustainable, and reproducible ministry systems for maximum spiritual impact with high school and middle school students. The Director of Student Ministry will be a creative leader of leaders and inspirational advocate for future generations of the Church. At the core of the Director of Student Ministry should be an inclusive, meaningful, faith-forward life that inspires students and families with the love of Jesus.
Primary Roles of the Position
- Develop and oversee innovative programs and faith formation opportunities, anchored in the relational ministry model that invites all members of the student population to explore and develop on their path as followers of Jesus
- Provide relevant, interactive opportunities for students to engage in the church and the greater community as servant leaders
- Collaborate as an active member of the Saint Matthew Staff Team as it seeks to faithfully respond to the ever-changing realities of ministry, culture, and family life
- Engage in consistent personal and professional development
- Direct all aspects of communication with our student population providing ongoing leadership that ensures an accessible and expansive presence on a variety of social media platforms
- Coordinate and direct appropriate communication with volunteer adult leaders and student ministry committee to ensure
students and families are engaged and connected to all aspects of Saint Matthew ministry
- Oversee and provide timely and informative communication and support to parents of students, Saint Matthew staff, and the broader church regarding Student ministry programs and offerings
- Create and lead ongoing leadership development for volunteer adult leaders focusing on both relational ministry concepts and faith formation
- Cultivate and develop student leadership opportunities and training
- Help Establish and implement our new milestone ministry, including a confirmation milestone.
- Reports to NextGen Director and Lead Pastor
- Member of the Saint Matthew Staff Team
- Student ministry committee
- Innovative Architect – Keeper of the “why,” a visionary with a growth mindset energized by creative planning.
- Genuine – True to self, honest, vulnerable, authentic, approachable.
- Missional -Mission experience-minded, neighborhood-focused, believes that
Church happens outside of Church.
- Communicator – Multi-faceted, can interact effectively with numerous teams and stakeholders (families, staff, students, council) simultaneously, storyteller, listens to understand.
- Equipper – A recruiter, builds teams (students, lay leaders, staff teammates), trains, empowers, sets others up for success.
- Relevant – Modern, fun, personable, attracts others.
- Faith-Forward – Ability to clearly articulate a current, lived faith experience.
- Relational – Fully committed to a relational ministry paradigm, makes faith matter to students.
Experience and Education
- A faith anchored life and willingness to embrace and support the relational ministry model of Saint Matthew.
- Commitment to life-long discipleship in self and the lives of others
- Comfort with Saint Matthew’s mission of inclusion and celebration of its diversity of faith philosophies
- Bachelor of Arts or Science degree
- 1 or more years of experience in youth ministry or related field
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented with skills in administration of programs (budgeting,
time management, vendor contracts)
- Proven expertise with technology and social media
- Ability to stand, stoop, kneel, crouch, walk, reach, use hands/fingers (dexterity) and lift up to 40 pounds
- Youth Ministry degree and/or Masters of Divinity
Saint Matthew ELCA
Evangelical Lutheran Church of America
399 Wiget Lane
January 6, 2021