A full-time early childhood educator is responsible for co-teaching in a therapeutic classroom environment in the Revive: Kids Program at the Center for Women and Children. The educator will support children in the infant, walker, toddler and/or preschool age group in ways that are developmentally appropriate, trauma informed, and Christ centered using evidence- based curriculum and sensory tools.
Wheeler Mission is a privately funded 501 (c) 3 non-profit, evangelical Christian ministry whose designated purpose is religious. We are a Christ-centered ministry which is dedicated to sharing the Gospel and helping the homeless and impoverished. Wheeler Mission considers every position one of ministry and a vital and valued part of our team. Therefore, it is essential that all employees of Wheeler Mission have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and subscribe to our Mission, Vision, Statement of Faith, Core Values, and Qualifications for Employment upon hire and continuously while employed. Employees are encouraged and expected to share the Gospel as opportunities arise.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Possess a sincere love of Christ and maintain a Christian walk that is evident of that love. Individual must be willing to sign and adhere to the WM Statement of Faith.
- Dependability – consistently at work and on time, reports to all scheduled shifts, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve personal performance, and completes tasks in a timely and accurate manner.
- Be flexible and able to work with women experiencing homelessness from various backgrounds and at different skill levels.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The Revive Kids Worker is responsible for supporting a program to meet the needs of the children served by the CWC in a way that is Christ-Centered, strengths-focused, grace-based and trauma- informed.
- The Revive Kids Worker is responsible for working directly with CWC children in age appropriate activities.
- The Revive Kids Worker will ensure that the children in the child care are taught the basics of early childhood education in accordance with best practice standards and incorporate sensory integration techniques.
- Revive Kids Worker will provide a daily email to Revive Kids staff outlining the events of the day.
- The Revive Kids Worker will adhere to all Indiana Code, WM and CWC policies and procedures.
- The Revive Kids Worker will participate in staff meetings; meet with the Revive Kids Team Lead and the Revive Program Director, as requested.
- The Revive Kids Worker may be asked at the discretion of the CWC Director or Family Services Program Director to perform other duties.
The Revive Kids Worker will work with children and families experiencing homelessness, poverty, domestic violence, parents with addictions, or other difficult situations. The Revive Kids classroom are located in a building that provides emergency and long-term shelter to homeless women from the community. Activities with the children’s groups may be conducted both inside and outside of the building in different seasons.
To perform the essential job functions of the Revive Kids Worker position, a candidate must be capable of performing many physical functions including:
- Be able to read, write, and interpret written documents
- Communicate effectively and clearly with children, parents, coworkers, and volunteers
- Lift a 10 – 30-pound child, using all safety precautions
- Stand, sit, walk, bend, kneel, reach, and play with infants, toddlers, or young children for long periods of time
- Conduct activities both indoors and outdoors in warm or cool temperatures
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice at the discretion of the employer (WM).
Required Education and Experience:
- Must have a minimum of a high school diploma or GED
- Must have at least 1 year of experience working with young children
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Experience working with children in a homeless shelter, school, or family-recovery setting
Background Investigation and Drug Testing:
- After a “conditional offer of employment” is made, the individual must pass a background investigation which includes a consumer credit investigative report.
- Wheeler Mission Ministries has a mandatory drug testing policy for all new employees. The successful applicant must submit to and pass a drug and/or alcohol test. This drug and/or alcohol testing may occur any time after the applicant receives a conditional offer of employment. All employees must sign and adhere to WM Drugs and Alcohol policy and remain free from addiction to drugs or alcohol.
Statement of Conflict of Interest/Confidentiality
This position requires both a conflict of interest statement and a confidentiality statement.
The Revive Kids Worker may be responsible for watching over volunteer groups who work with the Revive Kids Program.
Expected Hours of Work:
The full-time Revive Kids Worker is expected to work 40 hours per week. Shift times will vary Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Rare travel may be required for field trips with the children in the Revive Kids program.
Wheeler Mission Ministries is a 501 (c)3, charitable, non-profit, Christian organization. As such, we exercise our legal rights as it relates to discrimination because of an exemption from the prohibitions contained in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended (1991), concerning religious discrimination in employment. It is the policy of Wheeler Mission Ministries to grant equal opportunities for employment to all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, ancestry, age, gender, national origin, disability, veteran status, military service, or any other legally protected status.
Wheeler Mission Ministries
205 East New York Street Indianapolis, IN 46204
August 17, 2021