Recreation and Outreach Director
Reports to: Lead Pastor
Status: 40 hours/week
Bee Creek UMC is a community where imperfect people are transformed by the perfect love of God and change the world together.
From our roots as a “mobile church” to the transition to our beautiful campus overlooking Lake Travis, there has always been one over-riding goal: to open the door for people to experience the transformational power of Jesus Christ. Located in a fast-growing area just west of Austin, we come together to pray, serve, love God and love others. We’re imperfect, just like our mission statement says, but we are changing the world together.
The Recreation and Outreach Director is responsible for creating, planning and implementing a program of recreational ministries and outreach opportunities that fulfills Bee Creek Church’s mission to transform lives and change the world. Success will entail creating new ministries that improve the physical and spiritual lives of children, youth and adults in the church and wider community.
- Utilizing the gym, church land, and skilled coaches/trainers/recreation leaders, create an exciting program of offerings that blend physical fitness with spiritual depth.
- Athletic leagues such as basketball, volleyball, running, etc. for children, teens and adults.
- Summer camps (cheer, soccer, volleyball, basketball, TOTs, dance, flags, etc.)
- Daytime fitness classes for adults that include prayer, fellowship and devotional time. (aerobics, strength, yoga, stretching, running, etc.).
- After-school sports offerings/open gym that provides a safe and exciting place for youth in the community.
- Special events
- Articulate overall vision for recreation ministry, developing yearly goals and strategies for growing participation and evaluating success.
- Recruit, train, support and provide leadership for recreation staff and volunteers.
- Network with area professionals to provide affordable or free classes to the community.
- Create a welcoming environment that provides a doorway to understanding the welcoming, inviting love of God. Intentionally work to welcome people to the faith and church.
- Coordinate, schedule, and administer the activities in the recreation center.
- Be responsible for purchase, care, and storage of recreation equipment and supplies.
- Maintain and uphold all compliance and safety regulations, training and standards for the recreation ministry.
Outreach and Evangelism
- Bee Creek Church sets aside 10% of our budget for ministry that transforms lives through sharing the good news and meeting real needs. Lead the church this ministry, directing the money and people resources to the places we can have the deepest impact.
- Create, plan and lead a series (6-12/year) of local, hands-on mission opportunities (e.g. Angel Tree, Christmas Cactus, I Love My Community service days) that involve all ages and skill levels as well as those inside and outside of the church.
- In conjunction with the Lead Pastor and Operations Manager, plan and lead a series (6-8/year) of evangelistic opportunities (e.g. Backpack Blessing, Christmas Eve, Christmas Eve Eve, Palm Sunday, Ashes to Go, Communion by the Lake, Pet Blessing).
- Teach, encourage and lead the church community in Outreach. Help members of all ages to know how they can change the world in their community and daily life.
- Encourage all organizations and ministries of the church to carry out their work with an emphasis on service and welcoming others to participate in the mission work of Christ.
- Provide occasional worship leadership on Sunday mornings and at special services.
- Provide pastoral care including hospital visits, counseling, weddings, funerals, etc.
- Cultivate relationships with BCUMC members and guests that foster communication and trust.
- Supervise existing and new staff and teams in your program areas.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications / Core Competencies
- Spiritual grounding and theological alignment with the United Methodist Church.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to participate in active sports and recreation activities.
- Approachable, good communicator, excellent teacher.
- Inspires participation, good leader.
- Authentic, possess the ability to connect with people in and outside the church.
- Ability to work with others to develop and deliver services as part of a cohesive ministry.
- Strong preference given to someone who lives in the Spicewood/Bee Cave/Lakeway area or is willing to move in the first few months.
- Background/degree in recreation administration, physical education, or closely related field with directly applicable work experience in sports and recreation. Experience in project/program/event delivery will also be considered.
- Certified Lay Minister qualifications, or willingness to start process in first 2 months of work and complete within 2 years.
- Ability to create and lead successful programs.
- Experience in Outreach/Evangelism.
- Hold/maintain current American Red Cross CPR/First Aid certification
All employment offers are subject to drug/substance screening, a criminal background investigation, and a positive reference screening.
For consideration, please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about Bee Creek UMC, please visit our webpage at www.beecreekumc.org.
Bee Creek UMC
United Methodist Church
3000 Bee Creek Rd
November 15, 2018