The role of Pastor of Student Ministry & Spiritual Formation is to contribute and contextualize the mission and vision of Summit View Church through Gospel-centered leadership over our Middle School and High School ministries. This is by means of equipping and empowering those within the youth ministry and the Westside community as a whole. The Pastor will have a dynamic range of responsibilities; the primary of which will be to develop the culture of youth at Summit View Westside.
- Minimum of 4-year undergrad degree
- Proven track record of building healthy and God-glorifying ministries
- Strong calling to Youth ministry
- Ability to recruit, train, and maintain volunteers
- Live out the example of servant leadership set forth by Jesus
- Champion and execute SVC Student Ministry’s “Lead Small” philosophy
- Plan and implement weekly gatherings for middle school, on Tuesday nights, and high school students, on Wednesday nights
- Equip middle school and high school students through the preaching and teaching of God’s Word
- Partner with parents and build meaningful relationships with them
- Plan and execute camps, retreats, and training events by partnering with student ministry team from other campuses
- Recruit Small Group leaders
- Hold monthly volunteer leader meetings for equipping, planning, and relational purposes
- Hold vision casting parent meetings twice a year
- Working with Executive Pastor to execute vision and provide oversite of Life Groups on the Westside
- Preaching in large group gatherings as needed
- Teaching small group classes as needed
- Pastoral visits as needed
- Weddings, funerals, baptism, and communion duties as needed
SCHEDULE: 40 HOURS PER WEEK
The following schedule is an outline of the hours our full time staff is expected to be available.
Monday (8 Hrs) | Tuesday (9 Hrs) | Wednesday (9 Hrs)
Thursday (8 Hrs) | Friday (Off) | Saturday (Off) | Sunday (6 Hrs)
ESSENTIAL SPIRITUAL REQUIREMENTS
The following spiritual requirements are common to all positions, regardless of areas of oversight and should be consistently performed at all times in the course of employment with Summit View Church.
- Must exceedingly exemplify the greatest commandment:
▪ “And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”” Mark 12:30-31 ESV
- Character must demonstrate the fruit of the Spirit:
- “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.” Gal. 5:22-23 ESV
MINIMUM SPIRITUAL QUALIFICATIONS
In practical terms, the candidate must display these qualifications in the following categories:
- Biblical Qualifications – Must live a life in accordance to the qualifications laid out for pastors in 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1.
- SPIRITUAL DISCIPLINES
Must live a life of godly discipline in various categories, including but not limited to: spiritual self-care, personal devotion/study, household finances, personal health and fitness, emotional stability, hospitality, and generosity. He/she must also maintain a Godly character and live a joyful, loving exemplary life as outlined by the Apostle Paul:
▪ Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity. 1Tim. 4:12b ESV
- BE A PEACEMAKER
One of the most called upon needs of the body of Christ is to help resolve differences. He/She must become a champion of the Matthew 18 model in helping to negotiate conflict resolution, since there is no other process for conflict resolution given in Scripture:
▪ “If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. 16 But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. 17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. Matthew 18:15-17 ESV
- BEHAVIOR TOWARDS OTHERS
On relationships inside and outside of the church, whether married or single, he/she must exemplify the specific directives given in Scripture:
▪ Do not rebuke an older man but encourage him as you would a father, younger men as brothers, 2 older women as mothers, younger women as sisters, in all purity. 1Tim. 5:1-2 ESV
With these Scriptures in mind this individual is encouraged to carefully consider his/her conduct toward others directly, indirectly and through social media. He/she should develop a personal code of behavior that incorporates these Biblical directives and serves to exemplify how a Godly person conducts themselves in the 21st century.
All positions at Summit View Church require regular, in person, attendance of the Sunday Worship service. Additionally, in-person attendance at our weekly All Staff Meeting is required for all part and full-time employees.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to dialogue with others as well as use their hands to touch and perform various functions. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, reach with
hands and arms, balance, stoop, and/or kneel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
Summit View Church is an Equal Opportunity Employer, drug free workplace, and complies with ADA regulations as applicable.
Summit View Church
7100 NE 182nd Ave, Vancouver
July 19, 2021