The United Church has a comprehensive and multi-faceted Youth and Children’s Ministry program that goes from infants through high school students. This position focuses primarily on children (birth through early middle school) and parents. The church has a Pastoral Resident for Youth Ministry who is responsible for older middle school through high school youth.
CHILDREN’S MINISTRY PROGRAMS (current)
- Sunday Mornings:
- Childcare for infants and toddlers.
- Pre-K and Kinder program in the Nurture Center
- Elementary-age classes for Kinders through early Middle Schoolers (sometimes clustered, depending on enrollment)
- Children’s Choir (K’s -4th graders)
- Special Events:
- Monthly Family and Friends Nights
- Regular outreach and service involvements for children and youth.
- Day Trips
- Intergenerational Worship Services (every 4-6 weeks—eg., Epiphany Pageant, Mardi Gras, Easter, Pentecost, Thanksgiving)
RESPONSIBILITIES FOR CHILDREN’S MINISTRIES
(with teachers, caregivers, senior minister, lay leaders)
- Oversight of ministry with children from birth through middle school
- Curriculum and program development (working with Children’s and Youth Team, Senior Minister, Ministry Resident for Youth)
- Primary supervisor for Children’s staff (currently includes part-time Teachers, Childcare Provider, Nurture Center Teacher; Children’s Choir Director)
- Direct leadership of the Young Adventurers (early middle school)
- With Senior Minister, provide staff training in children’s ministry and faith formation (e.g., engaging children and parents with the Bible at any age; child development, program organization, teaching techniques, current issues in children’s ministry).
- Recruit and help train volunteers for children’s ministries.
- Communication with congregation and wider community about United’s children’s ministries.
- Help develop and lead special activities for children and parents (eg. day trips, service projects, etc.)
- Administrative oversight (e.g., completed background documents for all adult volunteers).
FAMILY/PARENT MINISTRIES (with lay leaders, pastoral resident, and senior minister)
- Develop educational and faith development opportunities for parents. (eg., “Ages and Stages of Childhood and Youth,” “Growing in My Own Faith,” “Talking with Kids about Hard Things,” etc.)
- Develop ongoing engagement with parents and communicate with Senior Pastor needs or pastoral concerns.
- Help in assessment of current opportunities to determine what programs need to be developed.
- A person of deep faith with a progressive understanding of Christianity.
- Passion for helping children and parents grow in their faith and live that faith in the world.
- Commitment to the life and ministries of a local congregation.
- Willingness to engage the questions and doubts of children and parents and offer direction and affirmation of the faith.
- Elementary, Middle School or Parent teaching experience and/or Children’s Ministry or other children’s program leadership.
- Strong work ethic and excellence in previous children’s ministry or education settings.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and taking initiative.
- Team player/team builder.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written).
- Ability to relate to all ages inside and outside our congregation.
- Sense of humor (which goes without saying).
- Bachelors in related field (eg., education, Biblical studies, religion, etc.)
- Preference given to persons with M.A., STM or M.Div.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to Sara Bailey at email@example.com
United Church of Santa Fe
Churches of Christ
1804 Arroyo Chamiso Road, Santa Fe
October 31, 2019