General Purpose of Position:
To build young disciples for Christ by developing and implementing a comprehensive approach to youth ministry (in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and community outreach) while serving as a spiritual leader and role model.
Organizational Relationship and Supervision:
The Minister or Director of Youth Ministries reports to the Associate Pastor for spiritual and ministry guidance. The Senior Pastor and Associate Pastor in cooperation with the Staff Parish Relations Committee, provides an annual evaluation of the persons performance. The Minister or Director of Youth Ministries is responsible and subject to United Methodist polity and doctrine, informed by the United Methodist Guidelines for Youth Ministries, local church policy as determined by the Charge Conference, Senior Pastor, and Staff Parish Relations Committee. Attendance at the following meetings is expected: Bi-Weekly Staff Meetings, Administrative Council, Worship planning, and Youth Council.
The Primary Task:
There shall be a comprehensive approach to the development and implementation of the youth ministry at all levels in the connectional system of the United Methodist Church and in all ministry areas of the local church. This comprehensive approach is based on the understanding of the primary task of youth ministry to:
- love youth where they are -encourage youth in developing their relationship to God
- provide them with opportunities for nurture and growth
- challenge them to respond to God’s call to serve in their communities and world
- Plan, develop, and implement all aspects of a balanced youth ministry in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and out.
- Be an advocate for youth and educate the congregation about the hopes, concerns and needs of youth in the local church and community.
- Support and guide the work of the Youth Council or equivalent body in an annual process of evaluating the vision and goals of the youth ministry and directing planning sessions.
- Organize and oversee all aspects of yearly Pumpkin Patch Fundraiser.
- Mentor youth in developing their leadership skills.
- Be aware of resources for developing the youth ministry programming and participate in continuing education events and training opportunities.
- Recruit and train volunteers who work with youth in all aspects of youth ministry and ensure adequate volunteer support and adult to youth ratios.
- Be a liaison between the church and other community organizations, people, and resources that relate to youth and youth ministries.
- Coordinate Sunday school curriculum for youth (grades 6-12) and recruit teachers in partnership with other program staff.
- Coordinate and teach Confirmation classes in partnership with the pastor(s) and provide leadership for confirmands, mentors, and parents beyond the classroom.
- Develop relationships and connections to college age adults that nurture their Spiritual life.
- Keep records of youth participation and manage the youth ministry budget.
- Communicate in a timely manner and as effectively as possible using all available resources (email, website, bulletin, newsletter, bulletin board, etc.). Ensure communication with church staff and leadership, parents, and the congregation as a whole.
- Make yourself available to youth in a variety of ways (i.e. lunch at school, attendance at extracurricular activities, visitation, times of crisis, etc.)
- Work in concert with the gifts and talents of other staff members and maintain a teamwork mentality.
- Ensure that the Safe Sanctuary Policy is observed in all youth ministry settings.
- Serve as resource person and liaison for Crossflame youth Choir activities.
- Other duties as assigned by the Lead Pastor or the Staff Parish Relations Committee as deemed necessary for the support of the ministry of the Church.
Qualifications and Aptitudes:
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred but not mandatory.
- Must have vision and a demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage and implement a youth ministry within the parameters of the United Methodist Church.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, conflict management skills, and computer skills.
- Must possess a proven ability to work effectively with youth, diverse individuals, and teams of volunteers.
- Be knowledgeable in Biblical foundations of Christianity and understanding of Methodist theology.
St. Luke's United Methodist Church
United Methodist Church
52 16th Avenue NW Hickory, NC 28601
April 27, 2019