POSITION TITLE: MIDDLE SCHOOL/JR. HIGH/ STUDENT MINISTRY LEADER
CHURCH OVERVIEW: Good Shepherd Church is a large, 3000 member, Christian church with a Lutheran perspective. We are located in the west suburbs of Chicago in a community heralded as a Best Place to live in the U.S. and we have a vision to “reach and transform spiritually distracted people so they might love and serve God.”
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR OF FAMILY LIFE—STUDENT MINISTRY
HOURS: PART-TIME, 30 HOURS. DAYS AND TIMES ARE VARIABLE. GENERALLY REQUIRES SOME EVENING AND WEEKEND HOURS. (Current weekly program for middle school students takes place on Thursday evenings)
PURPOSE: This position exists to oversee the 6th to 8th grade ministry at Good Shepherd Church. This includes a weekly large group ministry opportunity, retreats, mission trips and special events. The Middle School Student Ministry leader helps develop a volunteer/servant team that collaborates to create relevant evangelism, discipleship, fellowship, service, and worship experiences that engage people to grow their relationship with Jesus Christ.
TO APPLY: Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include a teaching sample if you are able to.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborates with the Director of Family Life—Student Ministry in developing and executing the middle school student ministry plan as it relates to the mission, vision, and core values of the church.
- Assists in providing opportunities for junior high students to grow as disciples in Christ as they study, serve, worship, pray, and share their faith with others
- Design weekly large group/small group activities including registration, curriculum, activities, snacks, leaders, and program evaluation.
- Identifies and coordinates an annual mission trip opportunity.
- Plans and implements winter and summer retreats and camps including identifying themes, curriculum, and logistics.
- Organizes special events and service opportunities.
- Attends conferences and other learning and networking opportunities in order to stay current and to keep creative in meeting the needs of the student population both within the church membership and in the community.
- Prepares and delivers messages and lesson plans as part of the teaching team for middle school student ministries.
- Recruits, trains, mentors, appreciates, and equips leaders for student ministry programs, retreats, mission trips and service projects.
- Connects individually with students and families building relationships and providing resources for healthy relationships and growing faith in Jesus Christ.
- Works with the Director of Family Life – Student Ministry to communicate events through multiple mediums including: text, email, social media, and announcements.
- Leads and attends various meetings including parent meetings, staff meetings, and leadership development opportunities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ and passion to share the Gospel; knowledge of scripture and an understanding and commitment to the mission and core values of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church; knowledge of the current practices and trends in student and youth ministries; knowledge of biblical texts. Skill in recruiting, leading, and developing teams; skill in teaching and preaching biblical principles; skill in planning and organizing activities. Ability to engage and connect with students and families; ability to communicate effectively in person and in writing; ability to maintain effective relationships with students, families, and staff; ability to identify resources and refer individuals for counseling and other resources as necessary; ability to commit to worship and serve with the Good Shepherd Lutheran Church community.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in education, biblical studies, ministry, leadership, social work or related field and two to four years’ relevant experience preferably in a church or not for profit setting. Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS INCLUDING CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Ability to pass pre-employment background screening and drug testing. Ability to maintain certification in mental health first aid.
Good Shepherd Church
Evangelical Lutheran Church of America
1310 Shepherd Drive, Naperville, IL 60565
June 9, 2021