High School Pastor Job Description
We currently have a well-balanced youth ministry that reaches out to lost people and helps disciple students towards transformation in Jesus. The size of our student ministry has grown well past the point where one person can meet the needs of our students. This person must, therefore, recruit and train leaders who will pour into the lives of students. To reach this goal, we are looking for a visionary leader who can help us reach non-believing students, connect them to believing students, help them grow in their faith, discover their ministry and honor God with their life.
We’ll high five you if:
- You are a self-starter
- You are a person that loves students
- You communicate great with parents
- You understand youth culture
- You have a teachable spirit
- You hate the Patriots (non-negotiable)
You’ll be happy if you enjoy:
- A fun and sometimes sarcastic staff environment that loves Jesus
- Beaches and great San Diego weather
- Talking about Basketball with our Senior Pastor or Worship Pastor or Fantasy
- Football with our Executive Pastor
We’d be bummed if you:
- Do not have a heart for discipleship that leads to reaching lost kids in the community
- Are not a team player and want to create a silo ministry
- Only think about the Youth Group and become individualistic in your thinking
- Use big churchy words and never explain what they mean
- Never pursue to get better at what you do
Authenticity leads to wholeness
Psalm 32:3-5, James 5:13-16, Proverbs 28:13, 1 John 1:9
We try to communicate what a relationship with God is in real, authentic, even raw terms because people can’t grow until they get authentic with what is going on in their life.
Growing people change
Philippians 3:13,14, Isaiah 43:19, Romans 12:2
Each person is at a different place in their journey, but we all have one thing in common. Either we are moving forward, or we are sliding backward. Our challenge is to take the next step in your relationship with God, whether it steps one or step 1001. We want to challenge everyone who walks in the door to take the next step in their God journey.
We are better together
Hebrews 10:23-25, Ecclesiastes 4:9-12, Colossians 3:12-15
We believe that growth happens through relationships. We believe we weren’t designed to live this life alone. We value relationships, and it pours out into practically every aspect of our church. Each of our ministries includes a way for you to get involved in a small group of people who are on the same spiritual journey you are. These relationships will encourage you and challenge you to be the person God has designed you to become.
There is joy in generosity
Malachi 3:10, 2 Corinthians 9:7, I Timothy 6:17,18
Our church is full of generous people, people that invest their money in God’s work because of what God’s done for them. Jesus spoke more about money than any other subject, and it wasn’t because he wanted to get rich. He wanted people to understand the joy that comes from being rich in good deeds.
We are designed to make a difference
Ephesians 2:10; Colossians 3:23-24; Matthew 25:34-45; Ephesians 6:7)
The heart of God is serving people. God created us to be His hands and feet in the world, and there is great joy when we take him up on that call whether it is caring for people in Haiti or Belize or serving people next door. There is a part of you that will come alive when you unselfishly serve.
We are investing in the next generation
Proverbs 22:30,31, Psalm 45:17, Psalm 48:12-14, Psalm 71:18, Psalm 145:3-5
No matter how old you are, there is a next-generation coming up behind you. People who leave a legacy invest their time, talents, and prayers in raising the next generation. That’s why you will see people of all ages investing into the lives of those people coming up behind them.
High School Pastor Job Description
- Models stable relationship with Jesus to students and staff
- Recruit volunteer leaders and delegates ministry to empower them
- Run and oversee midweek small groups
- Disciple leaders spiritually
- Attends all staff meetings, retreats, and top-level Canyon Springs Events
- Teach volunteer leaders to disciple students
- Communicate the gospel message to students so that those new to church canunderstand and those who are already following Jesus can grow
- Plan events and activities to reach new students and help current studentsconnect
- Plans camps and retreats that attract students and grow them in their faith
- Manages the youth ministry budget well
- Maintains a weekly sabbath to stay spiritually fresh
- Plans and carries out Sponsor a Youth Fundraiser once a year
- Works as a team player with the rest of the staff to develop the overall ministriesof Canyon Springs.
- Plans and carries out promotion Sunday once a year
- Speaks to adults in main church service as assigned
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- To effectively reach the people of Canyon Springs, we are looking for someonewho has these essential skills and experiences.
- Possess solid organizational, management, administrative and human relationsskills
- A successful history of ministry in churches or para-church organizations.
- Experience in teaching, leading people and organizing events.
- Stable and working knowledge of Scripture
- At least three years of experience in pastoral ministry or equivalent education
- Ability to define ministry goals and anticipate potential challenges.
- Possess skills in working with leaders and staff
- A “can-do” attitude and the willingness to “roll up one’s sleeves” and do whateverit takes to get the job done.
- Able to lead people and yet come alongside them as well to accomplish God’swork.
- Needs to be an effective delegator
- Needs to raise leaders to accomplish the ministries of Canyon Springs
- Needs to embody rallying skills in addition to one on one skills
- Salary based on candidate experience (We will pay what you need to make to live in SD).
- Health and dental insurance for your whole family
Email your resume with sample teaching to firstname.lastname@example.org
Canyon Springs Church
Evangelical Covenant Church
9889 Hibert Street Suite A, San Diego, CA 92131
January 24, 2020