The Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministries is responsible for developing and overseeing a comprehensive and vibrant ministry with Youth (grades 6-12) and their families, for creating and sustaining a robust ministry with young adults, and for managing all of this in a hybrid blend of virtual and in-person settings. The Director serves under the leadership of the Senior Pastor and will work closely and cooperatively with the church staff and lay disciples in fulfilling these responsibilities. This is a full-time, salary position.
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provides vision, guidance, and direction for the Youth Ministry.
- Develops ministries to engage Youth and cultivate their spiritual development as mature disciples of Christ.
- Leads weekly senior high and middle school youth group, in-person and online as appropriate.
- Organizes and leads retreats, local mission projects, mission trips, social events, and summer activities.
- Demonstrates authentic engagement in school and community youth activities.
- Recruits and oversees lay volunteers.
- Participates in teaching 8th grade confirmation class with members of staff and volunteers, organizing and overseeing mentors, and conducting retreats and activities.
- Regularly participates in Celebrations of Worship and the life of the church, through attending meetings, fellowship, and retreats.
- Serves as a staff liaison for the Disciple Making Committee, Safe Church Committee, and church-owned retreat center.
- Upholds and assures compliance with professional standards of behavior and development.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Senior Pastor.
Young Adults –
- Creates and promotes ways for young adults to become involved in the full range of ministry at SPC (Music, Local and Global Outreach, Worship, etc.).
- Collaborates with Pastors, Staff, and volunteers to provide forums for young adults to engage issues and concerns that matter to them (films, lectures, discussion groups, Bible study).
- Is an advocate for young adults; becomes familiar with their issues, needs, and concerns.
- Education level: College Degree
- Desire two years of youth and young adult ministry experience.
- Must be comfortable with technology and leveraging it to perform necessary duties of the role.
- Acts 33 and 34 Clearances
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, ranging from $42,000 -$47,000/year
- Benefits package to include paid vacation, healthcare options, and professional development via continuing education
Southminster Presbyterian Church Vision Statement
Through God’s Grace, Southminster Presbyterian Church will welcome all as Jesus does, recognizing each as an individual in God’s image. We will grow together in faith, seeking a personal understanding of God, and will celebrate this faith through worship experiences that welcome innovation and honor tradition. We will encourage, support, and celebrate each individual’s mission, and in all things, we will act corporately, joined with God’s people everywhere.
Southminster Presbyterian Church
Presbyterian Church USA
799 Washington Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15228
March 1, 2021