First United Presbyterian Church in Belleville, Illinois is seeking a full-time staff leader who can guide and develop the ministries that engage 6th-12th grade students in the life of the church. This individual will get to work with a staff team who is committed to caring for its community, placing heavy emphasis on nurturing fellowship, meaningful worship, active discipleship, and faithful service. The congregation of First United is looking for a relationship-building leader who can walk alongside youth as they experience what it means to live a life of faith following Jesus. The director must also be capable of supporting and equipping a team of volunteers who also have a heart for youth.
As a secondary piece of this position, the director will also be responsible for creating and developing digital content that helps the church reach, inform, and engage the community and congregation. This position reports to the senior pastor.
Overview of Responsibilities
- Connect with students in 6th-12th grades who have interest in the community of FUPC.
- Recruit, train, equip, and coordinate volunteer leaders, building teams of invested stakeholders who enjoy interacting with students.
- Map out the long-term scope and sequence of discipleship opportunities for youth, incorporating weekly times of gathering, seasonal events, and leadership opportunities.
- Plan and oversee the weekly opportunities for fellowship and faith formation.
- Collaborate with related community networks, school affiliates, and other local entities whose mission it is to serve and love neighbors.
- Draft and steward the annual budgets of the youth ministry and the digital media ministry.
- Develop an annual calendar of digital media content, working with a team for distribution.
- Assist in the planning of the seasonal themes, overarching rhythm and flow of communication, and create consistency with the culture and community of FUPC.
The responsibilities of this role encompass a variety of relational skills along with a small subset of technical skills. The ideal candidate has a heart for the local church and is a self-starter, able to attend to their workloads efficiently and manage multiple projects at the same time. Experience in the following areas will be most beneficial to the work:
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Organizational skills
- Attention to detail
- Creative problem solving
- Bachelor’s level education completed in a related field of study
- 3-5 years developing ministries with long-term planning
- A theology that celebrates and values all people, aligned with the PCUSA denomination
First United Presbyterian Church
Presbyterian Church USA
1303 Royal Heights Road, Belleville
March 1, 2022