Chamblee First United Methodist Church
Director of Youth Ministry
The Director of Youth Ministry is responsible for providing spiritual oversight, leadership, and inspiration for middle and high school students (6th-12th grade) involved in the programs and ministry at Chamblee FUMC (the Church) as well as the immediate community. The Director of Youth Ministry is committed to creating a loving, caring, and welcoming environment that provides for the mental, emotional, physical, and spiritual well-being of students as they grow in their faith as followers of Christ. The Director of Youth Ministry operates under the direction of the Senior Pastor.
- Demonstrate Christian love for students and their families and a passionate calling to youth ministry;
- Possess good interpersonal, communication, organizational, and project management skills;
- Be physically able to lead high energy events and travel for extended trips, including nights and weekends;
- Be a charismatic leader able to inspire and encourage youths to participate in youth activities and volunteer for youth service projects;
- Be an example of personal spiritual habits and disciplines including participation in Sunday worship;
- Be able to develop and maintain relationships in the Church and the community; and
- Pursue educational and growth opportunities on a regular basis.
- Oversee, plan, and implement the Youth Ministry program, including long-term (1-year) and short-term planning, hands-on ministry, and coordination with the Youth Council and church staff;
- Prepare and lead Sunday School, Sunday evening Youth Group, and Wednesday evening Bible study for middle and high school youth (including the selection and development of curriculum, as needed);
- Plan and coordinate other youth activities, including retreats, Confirmation, social events, mission/service opportunities, and worship;
- Create, evaluate, and maintain effective communication channels with youth families, Church staff, and congregation including weekly communications to the youth via Facebook, Instagram, Email, Evite, SignUpGenius, and GroupChat;
- Train and supervise Youth Ministry volunteers and Youth Council incorporating Safe Sanctuary guidelines and adherence;
- Ensure that adults are properly insured as drivers and follow Church policies;
- Develop and manage the Youth Ministry annual budget as approved by the Finance Committee;
- Work closely with the Confirmation class teachers to plan and transition Confirmands into the youth ministry;
- Convene monthly Youth Council meetings to plan and produce an updated two-month calendar which will include topics for each of the instructional times and posted online;
- Prepare for, communicate, and convene regular parent information meetings:
- Attend Church worship services weekly and encourage youth participation in Sunday worship services;
- Attend and participate in weekly general staff meetings;
- Communicate faithfully with the Pastor and staff;
- Maintain professionalism in all aspects of the position including punctuality at youth events and worship services; and
- Other duties as needed may be assigned by Senior Pastor.
Education, Experience, and Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline;
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a paid or volunteer leadership role in Youth Ministry;
- Comfortable working in a church setting, prior church work experience and/or familiarity with the United Methodist Church preferred;
- Clear understanding of what makes an effective youth ministry;
- Commitment to the Church’s vision, leadership, and congregation;
- Ability to be self-motivated, innovative, and value a team concept of Christian ministry;
- Demonstrate strong people, listening, and communication skills with people of all ages and backgrounds; and
- Portray a positive, friendly, enthusiastic, spirit and a pastoral heart.
Role: Part-Time (averaging 30 hours a week)
This position will be posted until filled.
Chamblee First United Methodist Church
United Methodist Church
4147 Chamblee Dunwoody Rd, Atlanta, GA 30341
April 25, 2022