First-Centenary United Methodist Church in downtown Chattanooga, Tennessee is seeking a full-time Director of Youth Ministries. First-Centenary is a large membership church with a thriving student ministries program from birth to college. A qualified applicant should have a college degree, previous youth ministry experience, be technologically savvy, have a passion for connecting with and developing youth into strong young adult Christians, the emotional and relational maturity to relate to youth, parents, and adult volunteers, and possess (or be willing to learn/teach) a Wesleyan/Methodist theological approach to youth ministry and theology.
The youth group at First-Centenary has students from 15 to 20 different schools in the Chattanooga area. Because First-Centenary is a downtown church, there is not one school that most of our youth come from. This allows the youth group to reach an eclectic mix of students. The students at First-Centenary are accustomed to intellectual curriculum that is based in Wesleyan Theology. Students are encouraged to ask questions and explore their doubt in a welcoming and understanding environment. The youth group participates in a variety weekend retreats and trips throughout the year to deepen both their relationships and faith. This youth group strives to be a space for students to express their individuality and connect through their faith with other students in the Chattanooga area.
If you are interested in applying please send your resume and references to the Senior Associate Pastor, Rev. Dr. Will Lauderback, at firstname.lastname@example.org by April 1,2022. If you have questions about the timeline, application process, or the church, please feel free to email Pastor Will or call the church at 423-756-2021.
Title: Director of Student Ministries
Purpose: The role of the Director of Student Ministries is to develop, oversee and nurture the ministries involving students in middle school and high school.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities:
- Programming (All student meetings: Sunday school, Wednesday nights, Sunday nights, etc.)
- Oversee, facilitate and equip classes and leaders to develop effective and healthy groups.
- Recruit and train volunteer leaders/teachers for Sunday School & Wednesday night classes.
- Welcome and follow up with youth visitors and parents of youth in all classes and worship services.
- Events / Missions
- Plan, organize, advertise, and execute special events such as Resurrection, lock-ins, mission trips, etc.
- Administrative / Communications
- Paperwork: (Keeping attendance records, preparing ministry budgets, writing reports, making presentations, etc.)
- Advertise/market/inform students and parents of current events, activities, goals, etc. Verify information and respond to queries.
- Meeting, liaising and networking with church staff on church-wide events, goals, procedures, etc. Act as an advocate for student’s interests.
- Stay engaged with technology and social media trends to be able to engage with and communicate with youth and parents effectively.
- Work with the Director of Children’s Ministry to keep the Safe Sanctuary Policy up to date and relevant.
- Relational Ministry
- Befriending, supporting, counseling, and mentoring students, parents, and volunteers.
- Assess the needs of students and plan and deliver programs related to those needs.
- Work with the Children’s Director to prepare kids for a successful transition into the youth group.
- Work with College ministries to help prepare youth for successful transition into college.
- Leadership Development / Coaching
- Develop and train adult volunteers in our student ministry strategy, goals, guidelines, and policies.
- Develop, train, and place youth in leadership positions via the “Youth Council.”
- Involving and informing students, volunteers and parents about church-wide goals and events.
- Support/help with church-wide events.
- Be present in worship.
- Attend Staff meetings and operate as a part of the staff team
- Other duties as assigned by the Sr. Associate Pastor.
General Work Schedule: Sunday through Thursday (evenings on Sunday/Wednesday)
Committee Responsibilities: Youth Ministry Team / Youth Council
Coaching Responsibilities: Assistant Youth Director
First-Centenary United Methodist Church
United Methodist Church
418 McCallie Ave, Chattanooga, TN 37402
February 22, 2022