Job Title: Director of Youth Ministry (middle school and high school aged youth) Purpose: First Presbyterian Church of Plymouth is a loving and faith-filled congregation of 800 members, located midway between Detroit and Ann Arbor. The Director of Youth Ministry will work with, coordinate, participate in and oversee all aspects of FPCP’s program for youth from middle school through high school with the goal of creating active lifelong disciples of Christ.The role will focus equally on middle and high school students. The Director will carry out the duties and programs as assigned by the Associate Minister in conjunction with the Christian Nurture Committee (CN) as listed in the objectives outlined below. Reports To: Associate Minister; works in conjunction with Christian Nurture Committee. Hours: Part time 25 hours/week average throughout the year (Sundays and 2-3 weekdays required). Objectives: Programming
- Develop, implement, and participate in programs for the spiritual formation of all middle and high school students, such as (but not limited to) Sunday school, weekly fellowships, retreats, mission activities and trips, and fundraising events.
- Support the confirmation leaders and provide input for the confirmation class, confirmation retreat, and other confirmation activities.
- Work with youth volunteers and the CN committee to expand current programs and develop new ones.
- Coordinate the youth budget with the CN and Finance Committees to ensure alignment with overall church budget.
- Liaise with the Director of Children’s Ministry to support the transition of children and their families to youth programs.
Pastoral Care, Spiritual Development, and Community-Building
- Provide compassionate care as needed to youth and their families.
- Develop rapport with youth, parents, and volunteers.
- Partner with parents and volunteers to provide a space where students can ask questions about faith and life and thus develop into spiritually mature disciples of Christ.
- Invite and integrate youth into worship, reflecting the desire for greater intergenerational fellowship.
- Network with parents and the congregation to recruit volunteers.
- Educate, train, and follow-up with volunteers to ensure program execution, growth, and leadership development.
- Participate in church meetings, staff meetings, and CN meetings as appropriate.
- Maintain a yearly calendar, work plans, and a summary report of duties performed.
- Maintain office hours as agreed to by the Associate Minister.
- Report issues as appropriate to the ministerial staff.
- Perform other duties and tasks as required.
- Comply with denominational and state safety regulations when working with minors.
- Adhere to church family ministry safety policies.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field is preferred, but not required.
- Must have relevant experience in leading and coordinating youth ministry and education.
Note: This listing is for a part-time position that leads youth ministry at FPCP.
As we seek the individual God is calling, we are happy to consider qualified candidates who prefer a full-time position that would be responsible for both Children’s and Youth ministries. If you are interested in this full-time position, please refer to the job posting for “Director of Family Ministries” (which can also be found on this website). Or contact us directly via the email below.
To Apply: Please send email with resume to our search committee at email@example.com
First Presbyterian Church of Plymouth
Presbyterian Church USA
701 Church St., Plymouth, Michigan 48170
February 18, 2022