Position: Director of Youth Ministry
Purpose of Position:
By building trusting relationships with the youth, the purpose of the Youth Director is to develop their Biblical knowledge and understanding that encourages a Christian worldview, teaches them to share and express their faith with conviction, and challenges them to respond to God’s call.
The Director of Youth Ministry (Director) reports to the Pastor/Head of Staff (Pastor) for spiritual and ministry guidance. The Pastor, in cooperation with the Session, provides an annual evaluation of the Director’s performance. The Director will be responsible and subject to the Swift Creek Presbyterian Church (SCPC) Personnel Policy, the Pastor and the Session.
Youth Ministry Responsibilities:
• Be a role model to young people as a disciple of Christ.
• Love young people where they are and provide them with opportunities for growth.
• Make yourself available to youth in a variety of ways through lunches, attendance at extracurricular activities, visitation, times of crisis, etc.
• Build personal relationships with teens and their parents in order to provide counseling, support, guidance and referral to other support services as needed.
• Proclaim the Word of God with clarity. Teaching should be grounded by scripture and informed by our faith tradition.
• Coordinate Sunday school and Sunday evening curriculum for youth in grades 6-12.
• Plan, develop and implement all aspects of a balanced youth ministry in the areas of regular meetings, worship (attending all Sunday church services), Bible Study, discipleship, mission, and outreach.
• Coordinate and teach Confirmation classes in partnership with the Pastor.
• Support and guide the work of the Youth Council or equivalent body in an annual process of evaluating the vision and goals of the youth ministry.
• Recruit and train volunteers who work with youth in all aspects of youth ministry and ensure adequate volunteer support and adult to youth ratios.
• Be a liaison between the church and other community organizations, people, and resources that relate to youth and youth ministries.
• Communicate in a timely manner and as effectively as possible using all available resources like e-mail, website, bulletin, newsletter, bulletin board, social media, etc. Ensure communication with church staff and leadership, parents, and the congregation as a whole.
• Be an advocate for youth and educate the congregation about the hopes, concerns and needs of youth in the local church and community.
• Be aware of resources for developing the youth ministry programming and participate in continuing education events and training opportunities.
• Establish office hours in accordance with Pastor expectations.
• Attend and participate in weekly staff meetings.
• Keep records of youth participation and manage the youth ministry budget.
• Ensure that the SCPC Children & Youth Protection Policy is observed in all youth ministry settings.
• A strong walk with God through a growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
• Sound Bible based knowledge grounded in Christian principles.
• College undergraduate degree and training in youth ministry, or a combination of equivalent experience and training.
• Exercises excellent judgement and decision making
• Teachable, with a desire to grow in faith and abilities.
• A self starter—highly motivated.
• Passion for youth ministry.
• Sense of humor, non-judgmental, good listener and understanding
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong technology skills including computer use and social media use.
• Team player with effective relational skills that works well with others.
Salary and Benefits
• Competitive Salary
• Two weeks paid vacation
For more info:
Swift Creek Presbyterian Church
Presbyterian Church USA
5900 Woolridge Road, Moseley, Va. 23120
April 4, 2019