Accountable to: Senior Pastor and Staff Parish Relations Committee
Statement on Inclusivity:
Mount Olivet United Methodist Church is committed to loving God and loving neighbor with our whole selves – heart, mind, soul, and strength. We believe that all persons are of sacred worth and dignity as part of God’s creation, as demonstrated by the ministry of Jesus Christ. We, therefore, welcome all persons into the life and ministry of our congregation regardless of race, culture, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or socioeconomic status, education, politics, physical or mental ability or health, or faith history.
Youth Ministry Characteristics:
• Our youth program will be led by a youth minister, who is a pastor to youth in Grades 6-12 and college age so that their trust deepens, and they grow spiritually.
• Our youth program reflects the vision, values and mission of Mount Olivet UMC and includes retreats, mission trips, and local mission work (service activities in our community) to cultivate a sense of service to others and to deepen the youth’s spiritual lives and bonds with God, other youth, the youth minister, and our community.
• Our youth help plan and help lead activities so that they are fully invested in the outcomes and feel a deep sense of connection.
• Our youth program builds a sense of community among participating youth and their families, which lays a foundation of faith into all aspects of youth’s lives.
• Our youth program includes music, drama, and theater as part of the youth program to broaden the youth’s worship, service, and faith experience, and to provide opportunities for youth to form deeper personal bonds.
• Serve as minister to the youth of the congregation, guiding them on their faith journey and helping them grow spiritually.
• Develop, implement, and sustain a comprehensive program for regular and recurring activity-based fellowship, retreats, and service/mission work in a Christian environment for middle and high school youth, and their families.
• Passionately advocate for and ensure youth involvement in the planning of and participation in worship (including assisting in leading worship and music), learning, and mission opportunities.
• Recruit, train and nurture a team of passionate youth workers and adult volunteers to help minister and disciple youth.
• Identify and employ the best communications channels appropriate to the different audiences involved with the youth program — the youth, their parents, and the wider congregation.
• Serve as the staff lead for youth fundraising activities, including annual mission theater production.
• Serve as staff lead for confirmation program.
• Ensure selection of theologically appropriate curriculum for short and long-term studies, including among others, confirmation class, weekly bible study and Sunday School, for the purposes of using the Bible to guide youth through life changes, and issues and struggles they are facing.
• Plan, organize, make arrangements for, and lead youth mission trips in partnership with the Outreach Committee.
• Participate regularly in, and lead as appropriate, creative and engaging activities that are designed to develop and reinforce the youth’s faith, build fellowship and ensure all youth are engaged in some aspect of the church weekly. These events include weekly separate high/middle school gatherings and occasional special events.
• Expose youth to district, conference, or national opportunities for involvement.
• Make youth aware of scholarship, grant and loan opportunities through Mount Olivet, the Virginia Annual Conference colleges and universities, and the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry.
• Create and maintain an environment where all youth regardless of race, culture, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or socioeconomic status, education, politics, physical or mental ability or health, and faith history are welcome and may grow as Christians.
• Ensure a representative from the youth ministry leadership team makes personal contact with every youth in order to grow each youth’s involvement with and connection to the church.
• Model for youth how to follow Christ and trust in the church, the Bible, and God.
• Ensure adherence to Mount Olivet’s child protection policy in all youth ministry activities, including maintaining background checks on all adult volunteers.
• Be a visible presence in the life of the youth and be willing to attend student events outside the church when possible.
• Maintain control documents, event notebooks, and calendars of events for ministry related activities.
• Participate in weekly staff meetings, reporting on and generating support for all ongoing and upcoming youth activities.
• Work with office staff to ensure administrative tasks related to the ministry are handled in a timely and professional manner.
• Monitor and maintain the youth ministry budget as approved by the Church Council.
• Attend at least one ministry training event per year.
• Other duties as required
• Ability to explain the Bible in such a way that teenagers are able to understand God’s promise of grace.
• Awareness of teenage culture.
• Ability to work successfully in partnership with volunteers.
• Leadership and organizational skills in youth ministry programs and mission activities.
• Interpersonal skills that allow effective communication with and relation to you, their families, and other adults engaged in youth ministry activities.
• Ability to bring energy and enthusiasm to all aspects of the position.
• Ability to recruit and delegate as necessary for effective program and resource administration.
• Ability to use social media to effectively and appropriately communicate with youth and their families.
• Ability to relate current world and social issues to scripture.
• Ability to listen with empathy and offer pastoral care to youth and their families.
• Ability to facilitate and lead youth in becoming more active in the life of the congregation.
• Ability to engage questions and concerns of parents and families.
• Professes Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
• Commitment to personal spiritual growth and a healthy lifestyle.
• Considers this position a life ministry, not just a job.
• Models standards and expectations of leaders within our church, including worship attendance, a lifestyle of tithing and generosity, and serving out of call and giftedness.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent; advanced theological training preferred.
• Paid church staff experience.
• Experience working with youth/young adults.
• Reports to Senior Pastor
• This is an Exempt position for overtime purposes
If you are interested in this position, please email the following documents to email@example.com:
- Cover Letter
- Three References
Mount Olivet United Methodist Church
United Methodist Church
1500 N Glebe Rd, Arlington, VA 22207
February 12, 2019