Job Description for Director of Youth Ministries
Supervisor: Associate Pastor | Status: Part-Time
Job Description at: http://wblumc.org/resources/employment/
White Bear Lake United Methodist Church is seeking a spiritual leader to provide vision, direction and coordination of ministry to youth (grades 6-12) and their families. The person in this position will have proven intergenerational experience to build lasting relationships, expand the ministry, and grow students in their faith formation journey through teaching, worship, fellowship, mission and service. In our highly service-oriented environment, this person will collaborate with other ministries within the church and local community.
White Bear Lake UMC is rooted in progressive, inclusive theology where questions are encouraged and deep thinkers thrive in the worship and education programs. The church’s mission is to provide nourishment for the hungers of life. This mission is served well by our community bread oven, adult faith offerings, creative worship (traditional/blended & band-led services), and community partnerships with the Emergency Food Shelf and a local elementary school. We desire that mission to be accomplished in our youth ministry through students experiencing a receptive place to build relationships, grow in faith, and serve the community.
- Model a living faith and mature character
- Establish a welcoming and caring environment, encourage thinking, welcome questions, and foster discipleship among students
- Build and maintain relationships with students, parents and volunteers
- Equip young people and volunteers for service and leadership
- Recruit, develop, train and appreciate adult volunteers
- Effectively and consistently communicate and promote activities to students, parents and congregation
- Reach out to young people and families currently not participating
- Design and direct Sunday morning and Midweek evening programming
- Partner with Associate Pastor on Confirmation programming
- Coordinate, organize, implement and attend regular service projects, special events, annual mission trip(s) and summer camp
- Foster congregational awareness and involvement in youth ministry through communication, training and intergenerational programming opportunities.
- Work from a team-approach with other ministry and office staff as well as ministry leaders to partner and involve youth in other church ministries such as the Sunday morning worship service and bread oven ministry
- Develop a multi-year programming plan and curriculum scope and sequence
- Invest in the on-going life of students and families outside of church by attending games, performances, etc.
- Assess and evaluate success and failures of programming and adjust accordingly
- Manage youth budget and finances; maintain and update database with office staff
- Build a youth advisory / advocacy team
- Network with other youth ministry directors and leaders
- Attend staff meetings, be a regular participant in standing church programs, and other duties as assigned
Skills & Qualifications:
- Team-oriented and self-motivated
- Approachable and welcoming
- Strong time-management, organizational and communication skills
- Values and thinks innovatively and strategically about past, present and future
- Proven intergenerational experience
- High emotional intelligence and sense of humor
- Foundational counseling / referral skills
- Open-minded, critical-thinker and problem-solver
- Understand cultural pressures teens are facing and be able to respond with wisdom
- Social media savvy preferred
- Literate in Wesleyan theology and tradition
- Bachelor’s Degree (concentration in ministry preferred)
- 3-5 years of related experience
This is a part-time position (25-30 hours a week) with opportunity to grow into full-time position in 3-5 years as ministry grows. Pay based on experience.
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 20, 2017.
White Bear Lake United Methodist Church
United Methodist Church
1851 Birch Street, White Bear Lake, MN 55110
July 26, 2017