Director of Youth Ministries
The Director of Youth Ministries leads middle school and high school youth to love God and
one another in Christian community, empowering them to grow as Christian disciples, and equipping them to live their faith boldly in the world with all their heart, mind, soul and strength. This position will report to the Senior Pastor and SPR, and work collaboratively with the Youth Council and Discipleship Team and other related ministry planning groups.
- A strong calling to student ministries.
- Ability to relate exceptionally well to youth and parents.
- An understanding of and commitment to Wesleyan, grace-based, United Methodist theology and practices.
- Weekly attendance at worship is expected.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field and 5-year experience in related ministries is preferred.
- Organize, coordinate, promote, and manage all aspects of middle school and high school ministries, including regular weekly activities, small groups, interest groups, study, planned and ongoing activities and outings, retreats, servant and/or missional activities, etc.
- Supervise and manage involvement of part-time intern(s) involved in age-level ministries.
- Work with the pastors and church leadership to evaluate, adjust, innovate and grow each age-level of ministries, implementing new strategies for growth in keeping with the church’s mission, vision and strategic planning.
- Work collaboratively with the Youth Council and Discipleship Team to insure the use of curriculum and resources appropriate for each age group to help facilitate spiritual formation and maturation as Christian disciples.
- Work collaboratively with pastors, volunteers, parents and other staff persons to shape and guide an effective confirmation experience for middle school students.
- Manage the formation of appropriate small groups for each age group, recruiting volunteer facilitators and leading effective training for all facilitators.
- Work collaboratively with all music staff and youth choir leaders related to scheduling and programing needs.
- Coordinate all scheduling, calendaring and communication of ministry activities with appropriate staff related to ongoing activities, event dates, facility usage, van reservations and promotional needs.
- Manage and help facilitate specific ways and times the gym can be used for age-appropriate recreation.
- Strategically plan, set goals and shape budget requests for each age group.
- Continually re-evaluate the needs of our middle School, high school students and their families to determine and implement new and innovative age-appropriate activities.
- Ensure adherence to FUMC’s Safe Sanctuary Policy.
- Attend staff meetings, Church Council meetings and other administrative or planning groups as required.
- Perform other duties on a negotiated basis.
Competencies, Working Skills and Attributes
- Ongoing, strong, mature and contagious commitment to Jesus Christ.
- Understanding of and alignment with United Methodist theology and beliefs.
- Passion for congregational ministry with particular strengths in working with students, parents, families, and volunteers.
- Proven ability to inspire students in both large and small groups.
- Possess sufficient knowledge of childhood and youth development.
- Excellent verbal, written, relational, time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to plan, organize, lead, recruit volunteers and lead all related ministry activities.
- Competence in basic listening skills and lay counseling skills appropriate for youth.
- Willingness to work collaboratively with staff and congregation members.
- Possess an understanding spiritual formation and the faith development process.
- Emotional and spiritual maturity.
- Solid time management skills and organizational abilities; ability to multi-task and coordinate several activities at once and to quickly analyze and resolve specific problems.
- Computer, Internet, Social Media and promotional proficiency.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from parents, staff, and congregation.
- Proven ability to communicate and establish effective working relationships with people, conveying a genuine concern for their needs and a desire to provide exceptional service.
- Able to work efficiently and effectively in team situations and to build strong teams and small groups.
- Should be detail oriented, flexible, and decisive with the ability to organize and coordinate work, set priorities, meet deadlines, and adapt to a variety of changing events, schedules, and priorities.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic team player.
- Must demonstrate effective discipline and conflict management skills.
- Athletic, recreational, music, artistic, outdoors interest or background a plus.
This is a fulltime exempt professional position. For full-time program staff of Cookeville FUMC, Sunday is a work day, generally with Saturday and one additional week day (day is negotiable) being days off. Wednesday and Sunday night work is expected.
Cookeville First United Methodist Church
United Methodist Church
165 E. Broad St.; Cookeville, TN 38506
May 19, 2020