St. James Atlanta United Methodist Church
4400 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd Atlanta, GA 30342
Position Title: Director of Youth Ministries
Part-time (20-25 hrs/wk)
Reports to Associate Pastor
Supervises Volunteer Youth Counselors
Youth Sunday School Teachers
Relates to Staff Parish Relations Committee
Chairperson of Work Area on Education
Director of Music
Director of Activities
Attends the following Church Council Meetings
Youth Council Meetings
Youth Counselors Meetings
Work Area on Education Meetings
Church Staff Meetings
The Director of Youth Ministries is responsible for giving direction and oversight to the planning and implementation of the program of ministry and spiritual growth for the youth of St. James (UMYF). This individual should possess a visionary concept of Youth Ministries who works well within a team framework.
- Coordinate and direct the overall Youth Educational Ministry of St. James.
- Plan, develop, implement, and participate, as appropriate, weekly programs, retreats, mission trips, Youth Week, and other special activities for the UMYF.
- Support and counsel Youth in their school activities or individual needs and referring them to counsel from others when deemed necessary or helpful.
- Initiate opportunities with the youth members and parents of the youth of St. James UMC for counseling, spiritual guidance, friendship and support.
2) Oversee and direct the recruitment of teachers and leaders for all youth ministry programming.
- Recruit and train adults to serve as counselors and/or staff for the UMYF.
- Be present and available to youth during Sunday School and morning worship and fill in as a teacher for youth and adult Sunday School classes.
- Order, review and assess Sunday School, resources, and curriculum for the youth of St. James
- Provide training opportunities for the teachers and leader of the youth at St. James
- Participate in at least one continuing education in the area of youth ministries per year to ensure the youth of St. James the very best programming available.
3) Be knowledgeable of the youth ministry programs of the North Georgia Conference and involve the youth in said programs.
4) Implement an annual Youth Sunday in consultation with the Senior Pastor, the youth leadership team and the Director of Music to give the congregation an experience of witnessing the leadership of youth in worship. In addition, the Youth Minister will help to promote the inclusion of youth in a leadership role in “main” congregational worship at least once a month (e.g.: offering music, ushering, greeting, liturgist, drama, art).
5) Coordinate youth schedules with the Director of Children’s Ministry and the Director of Music, and participate in the Youth Choir Tour as needed. Interface with the Worship Committee as needed.
6) Keep up-to-date on financial requests for payments and reimbursements made to the finance office as well as manage the annual Youth budget.
7) Dedicate 5-10 hours per week to overall communication needs of the church including Youth Ministry and all other ministries. (website, mailers, signage, etc.)
8) Weekly attendance and quarterly participation in the Sunday morning worship services.
9) Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by direct supervisor.
Skills and Experience Required
- Excellent verbal and written communications
- Collaborative attitude with Parents, Youth, Church Staff and Congregation at large (Team Player)
- Experience leading Youth programs
- A love of teenagers
- Strong organizational skills
- Musical background a plus
Please send cover letter and resume to Rev AnnaKate Rawles firstname.lastname@example.org
St James Atlanta UMC
United Methodist Church
4400 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd
August 14, 2019