DIRECTOR OF YOUTH MINISTRIES
The Director of Youth Ministries is a highly skilled individual with a passion for Jesus and a passion for reaching students with Christ’s love. The Director of Youth Ministries is tasked with caring for the Firehouse Campus, developing strong volunteer teams, and delivering outstanding programs and events that connect students and their families to a message of God’s love. The Director of Youth Ministries has direct oversight over ministries designed for students in grades 6-12; as well as ministry with their parents.
Situated on the northside of South Bend, Indiana; Clay Church is a two-campus ministry, uniquely positioned to reach teenagers with the message of Christ. The Firehouse Campus is a 35,000 square foot facility, primarily set aside for youth ministry; and includes a sanctuary, gym, classrooms, and full kitchen.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Youth Ministries is responsible for:
- Leading and developing teams of adult and student volunteers to assist with all aspects of youth ministry.
- Planning and delivering Firehouse Worship on Sundays at 9:00 and 10:30 and serving as the primary speaker during these services.
- Preparing small group experiences on Sunday mornings.
- Planning and delivering 2-3 outreach events per year so that students can invite their unchurched friends.
- Working with small group leaders to plan 5-6 small group gatherings outside of Sunday morning, including fellowship events, mission work, discipleship experiences, and overnighters.
- Work with teams on summer experiences, such as camps, mission trips, etc…
- Work with volunteer teams to lead Eighth Grade Confirmation program.
- Work with the Director of Family Ministries to develop a long-term vision that carries students from birth through high school graduation.
- Work with the Family Ministry Team to put together parent workshops and experiences.
- Work with the Family Action Team to put together select family ministry events.
- Assemble youth ministry calendars. Communicate effectively with parents and students about upcoming events, worship themes, etc… Work with Communication Team to communicate larger events to the congregation and community.
- Availability to meet with students and parents in times of need.
- Carry a vision about improvements to the Firehouse Campus.
- Attend Staff Devotions weekly, Staff Meetings weekly, and Staff Retreat biannually.
- Assist as needed during all-church events.
- Manage the youth ministry budget.
40+ hours weekly
JOB SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
The Director of Youth Ministries is a person who:
- Demonstrates a commitment to following Jesus.
- Has a passion and expertise in working with teenagers.
- Is an effective, passionate, and relevant teacher of Scripture.
- Can build and manage volunteer teams.
- Has exceptional organizational skills.
- Communicates effectively.
- Works well with others.
- Sets and maintains appropriate boundaries.
- Works efficiently and meets deadlines, while keeping to a budget.
- Demonstrates the maturity needed to manage a wide and varied ministry.
The Director of Youth Ministries serves on the Staff Team, the Family Ministry Team, and the Family Action Team. The Director of Youth Ministries reports to the Director of Family Ministries.
Clay Church is looking for a candidate who has:
- A minimum of two years ministry experience with youth or children.
- College degree preferred.
- Experience speaking to large groups about faith.
- A thorough knowledge of Scripture.
- A working knowledge of the theology of the United Methodist Church.
Send a resume and cover letter to Family Minister Karen Grant. Include a sample of teaching or preaching, if available.
United Methodist Church
17646 Cleveland Road, South Bend, IN 46635
February 1, 2019