Director of Youth and Outreach
Hope In Christ Church
Mission Statement: We Glorify God by knowing, living and proclaiming our Hope In Christ.
Hope In Christ Church is a well-established (50+ years) ministry of the Christian Reformed Church (CRCNA.ORG) located in Bellingham, WA, a vibrant, growing city of 90,000+ residents. Bellingham is on the shore of Bellingham Bay, a body of water connected to the Salish Sea in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. The city is strategically placed along Interstate 5, the main corridor between Seattle, WA and Vancouver, British Columbia. Being near the Canadian border has fostered the growth of a richly diverse population.
Covid-19 has affected churches everywhere and our congregation is no different. The past year allowed us the opportunity to reexamine and revamp all youth programs. Under the leadership of a recent college graduate, we utilized a small-group based approach with intentional one-on-one mentoring as well as training the older youth to mentor the younger youth. We would like to continue to build upon something like this while also restarting a traditional Sunday school program for all our youth.
We have also realized the need for an increasing ability to reach outside of our church community in order to draw new people to Christ. Our current outreach involves a GEMS program for young girls and a Friendship Ministries for adults with cognitive and physical developmental struggles. We hope that the Director of Youth and Outreach will either be able to make use of these ministries to grow a twenty-somethings group or will have new ideas on how to reach this demographic in our county.
Who we are looking for:
We desire a part-time or bi-vocational person with a love for God, the Bible and people, especially youth and young adults (Twenty-somethings). This person must have a creative and visionary spirit that can help to further a small Junior high and High school youth ministry with about 25 kids and have the ability to pioneer a new ministry to twenty somethings in the local community. We have a small number of twenty-somethings that will be growing over the next few years. The exact job will be tailored to the successful candidate’s strengths and calling. Additionally, we will consider an internship possibility for a current student, if that is desired and needed for the successful applicant.
- Love for Jesus and people
- Evidence of the Fruit of the Spirit in daily life
- Devotion to the Word of God
- Commitment to the Reformed expression of Christianity
- Strong communication skills and the ability to motivate volunteers toward the vision of Hope in Christ.
- Clarity of vision.
- Devotion to prayer.
- Reliable, self-motivated and takes initiative.
- Able to change and grow and find it invigorating.
- Commitment to mission and vision of Hope in Christ.
- Ability to work on a team and under leadership of senior pastor and council.
Essential Youth Discipleship Duties
- Select reformed and covenantal curriculum for Sunday morning Grade 9-12 Bible education.
- Establish a discipleship-oriented Junior High and High School Ministry.
- Meet with youth or train up mentors to meet with Junior and Senior high youth.
Essential Twenty-Somethings Outreach Duties
- Establish a new ministry outreach to twenty-somethings in our county with the help of the few people in this age range currently at Hope in Christ Church.
- Network and Outreach to twenty-somethings who do not yet profess faith in Jesus.
- Training twenty-somethings to share their faith in Jesus in non-confrontational, relational ways.
- Pray for church and lost
- Provide input and support to council and other relevant committees so that the twenty-somethings group flourishes.
Additional Duties (as appropriate and/or needed)
- Attend administrative meetings including but not limited to Staff, Elder and Council mtgs as needed or requested.
- Experience in youth ministry and/or outreach
- Bilingual (Common languages spoken in our county: Spanish, Mandarin/Cantonese, Ukrainian-Russian or Punjabi)
- Bible School or Seminary Student/Graduate a plus but not required if proven track record of successfully sharing the faith with others.
Pay and Benefits: Contract with annual review
Part-time or Bi-vocational (24 hours/week = ~$24/hr)
- Salary: $30,000 per year depending on experience
- Expense Account: $2500/year
- Access to a 403(b) Retirement Account
- Paid Vacation: Years of Service 0-3 = 7 days; Years 4-5 = 10 days; Years 6+ = 12 days.
Start date is flexible, but between July-Sept 2021 is desired.
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter by June 30, 2021 along with 3 references, as follows:
- Current employer
- Current pastor
- One other
Materials should be sent to Hope in Christ Church, Attn: Director of Youth & Outreach, 712 E. Sunset Drive, Bellingham, WA 98225.
Applications will be reviewed and interviews arranged as they are received.
To learn more about Hope in Christ Church click here.
To email the staff a question about the position, contact email@example.com
Hope in Christ Church
Christian Reformed Church in North America
712 E. Sunset Drive
May 6, 2021