FARMINGTON EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH
Position Description: Director of Youth and Family Ministries
SHARED EXPECTATIONS OF ALL FARMINGTON LUTHERAN STAFF
The Director of Youth and Family Ministries will manage the spiritual formation programs for confirmation, youth, and their families. This will be done through relationships and experiences that promote a rich faith life and passionate servanthood. In collaboration with the other staff and volunteers, the Director of Youth and Family Ministries will help to cultivate a culture of creative ministry, excellence in administration, and alignment of the ministries to the church’s mission and vision.
- To be the architect of programs for youth, young adults, and their families. The Director does not do all the ministry, but rather constructs ways for ministry to be carried out.
- To facilitate healthy relationships and form communities of caring and sharing.
- To build a network of engaged volunteers and leaders, using their gifts so that the Body of Christ may be built up.
- To work collaboratively with the staff to integrate youth throughout the congregation.
- To care for oneself, building a strong and sustainable ministry.
Plan and Manage Confirmation Program
- Evaluate curriculum and coordinate confirmation events.
- Ensure curriculum is supportive of the mission of the congregation and aligned with the Lutheran faith.
- Communicate confirmation events and news.
- Cultivate and train volunteers and mentors for all parts of the confirmation program.
- Engage families in the confirmation program as appropriate.
- Cultivate and Grow the Youth and Family Ministry Programs
- Manage a faith formation program for senior high, middle school youth, young adults and their families.
- Work to equip parents and families to engage in faith formation.
- Integrate youth into the life of the congregation.
- Develop Systems for Engaging Volunteers and Leadership Training
- Recruit and train youth and adult leaders for all aspects of the youth and family program.
- Provide leadership and ministry training for youth and adults.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferred in Youth and Family Ministries or related field.
- A minimum of two years of youth ministry experience preferred. Experience working with both youth and family ministry also preferred
- Strong organizational, communication and planning skills.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work without direct supervision and manage time efficiently and effectively. Ability to be very flexible in work hours.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally, electronically and in writing and work collaboratively with a variety of personalities within the staff and church membership.
- Successfully passing a background check.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
General office environment and events outside the church facility, with occasional lifting of over 30-50 pounds required. Ability to perform bending, lifting, twisting, and reaching tasks as well as fine motor skill tasks. Corrected vision and hearing in normal range required for interacting with others.
This is an exempt position. This is a full-time position.
Supervised by the Director of Church Management.
Youth Ministry Assistant and volunteers in the program.
Farmington Lutheran Church
Evangelical Lutheran Church of America
20600 Akin Road, Farmington
June 12, 2019