Harbor United Methodist Church in Wilmington, North Carolina is seeking a full-time Director of Youth and Family Ministries. The Director of Youth and Family Ministries must have a strong personal relationship with Jesus Christ; live a Christian lifestyle through devotional practices, commitment to prayer and spiritual growth; and be a part of Harbor through prayers, presence, gifts, service, and witness. The Director will be responsible for the discipleship of youth Grades 6-12 through planning, coordinating, and implementing programming for two age groups (Middle School/High School) for a large, growing congregation while working within the United Methodist tradition. Joined by a team of supportive stakeholders, the Director is hoped to lead with enthusiasm, consistency, and clear direction. This position reports to the Pastor.
Salary is $30k to $50k based on qualifications.
As a servant of Jesus Christ, called by God to serve the community of faith that is Harbor United Methodist Church (HUMC) I will:
- faithfully pray for the members of the staff and the church;
- accept the distinct spiritual gifts of each staff member and their God-given personalities;
- maintain confidentiality and discourage any discussion that does not build up, affirm or encourage others;
- be a generous receiver and giver of forgiveness;
- be willing to both give and receive praise and constructive criticism;
- respect the authority of those to whom I am responsible;
- live by a high standard of personal and professional work ethic, striving always for excellence in ministry;
- strive for a healthy balance between my ministry responsibilities and my personal life;
- commit time to grow spiritually as an individual and as a staff member and encourage others in their walk with Christ;
- listen to other members of the staff, respect their opinions, and always strive to keep the lines of communication open.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Professional experience working with church youth desired
- Demonstrated leadership qualities preferable in a Youth Leader / Ministry
- Proven team player who can work well with parents, adults, staff, and the congregation
- Familiarity and Adherence with United Methodist doctrine
- Possesses an understanding of the needs of and a desire to work with both Middle and High School age groups and their families.
- Knowledge of current and cutting-edge resources, theory, best practices, and other “tools of the trade” relevant to youth and family
- Be committed to the vision, mission, and strategy of Harbor UMC
- Model a life of Christian discipleship through personal lifestyle and personal spiritual growth
- Lead all facets of the Youth Program which includes but is not limited to Sunday School, Bible Study, Youth Group, and Confirmation Class.
- Develop or implement curriculum for use in all programming that follows the United Methodist doctrine / tradition
- Realize growth in the Youth Group in both grace and number based on attendance records and participation in discipleship opportunities
- Always follow United Methodist Safe Sanctuaries policy
- Plan annual retreat and mission opportunities for the youth to include budgeting, fundraising, registration, etc.
- Recruit, train, and cultivate adults to be co-youth ministers
- Hold meetings and communicate with Youth parents on a regular basis and additionally as needed
- Coordinate and lead annual Confirmation process.
- Build a plan to support the Director of children’s ministries to have a cohesive transition for children into the youth program.
- Build relationships with both HUMC and non HUMC children, youth, and families by contacting them regularly at home, at school events, at church, etc.
- Foster a positive example of interpersonal relationships, family life, moral and ethical character as well as be a mentor and teacher
- Develop events, programs and gatherings to which participants can bring friends who maybe seeking a church family
- Be committed to a long-term development of family ministry with enthusiasm and dedication to working directly with people of all ages
- Communicate to families, youth, volunteers, staff, and the congregation to inform all about current and upcoming Youth and Family programs through the most effective channels
- Attend weekly staff meetings and monthly Council and Education Committee meetings
- Track all ministry expenses and work within the Youth Ministry Budget
- Collaborate and interact with other United Methodists through participation in District and Conference Youth events
- Attend at least 1 worship service weekly and assist as needed
- Perform other tasks and responsibilities as assigned
Harbor United Methodist Church
United Methodist Church
4853 Masonboro Loop Rd, Wilmington, NC 28409
May 31, 2020