Hixson United Methodist Church seeks a Full Time Director of Student Ministry to lead a long-standing and vibrant student ministry, and partner with youth and adult leadership to share the love of Christ with students and their families in our community. Our new Director will facilitate a ministry that emphasizes Christian formation, ministry and missions, with strong ownership from student and adult leaders. We’re looking for an experienced visionary who loves God, is passionate about youth, and can inspire adults.
ABOUT OUR CHURCH
Hixson United Methodist Church is an active and mission focused congregation with a deep heart to offer help, hope and healing through Jesus Christ. We have a strong history of missions and ministry in the local community and around the world.
Our Christian Formation Ministry is focused on nurturing faith in Christ for all ages through vibrant children, student, adult and families ministries that partner together with an intergenerational strength. We have a history of long-term staff which has helped build a solid foundation of consistent, sustainable and relational ministry. We also have incredibly active leadership from both students and adults, allowing staff leadership to take the form of a visionary coaching style.
Our Mission, Vision and Goals drive all we do at Hixson UMC:
MISSION: Partnering with God to transform the world by offering help, hope and healing through Jesus Christ.
OUR VISION: Because Christ calls us to love God and love neighbor, we offer:
• Help for the hungry by feeding as Jesus fed.
• Hope for the lost by proclaiming the Good News of Christ.
• Healing for the broken by reconciling people through Christian community.
• Feed: Distribute more than 350,000 meals in the community and around the world.
• Proclaim: Celebrate more than 120 people professing faith in Jesus Christ for the first time.
• Reconcile: Connect more than 600 people in faith groups.
• An active and maturing relationship with our Lord Jesus Christ, and a strong knowledge of Scripture and Christian Theology.
• Bachelor’s Degree in related field preferred with additional training or experience in Student Ministry, and a willingness to invest in continuing education related to Student Ministry.
• Ability to recruit adult and volunteer leadership and provide training/mentoring to equip adults and volunteers to successfully work with grade 6 through age 25.
• Ability to engage assigned age group in activities inside and outside the church that fit with the mission, vision and goals of HUMC.
• Ability to create and encourage worship and service experiences where assigned age group finds a transformational encounter with Jesus Christ.
• Ability to use a variety of technology tools to communicate with those associated with Student Ministry.
• Ability to effectively communicate in writing and verbally.
• Ability to plan and organize visionary, effective and sustainable congregational ministry with students.
• Possesses an ability to appropriately evaluate ministry events and programs.
• Responsible for developing and executing a viable, visionary and productive program for student ministry (grade six through age 25) based on Christian values, biblical teachings, and the Hixson UMC mission.
• Partner with other church staff to conceptualize and implement seamless discipleship and spiritual formation for children and families.
• Develop and implement separate middle school, high school and young adult ministry programs that emphasize opportunities in the areas of prayer, presence, gifts and service designed to enhance the spiritual discipleship of all participants while providing them with appropriate activities to maintain their interest and participation.
• Make available unique, innovative and creative programs that will foster growth and outreach among participants from within the church and attract individuals from the unchurched community at large.
• Coordinate and administer the Sunday School Ministry through prayerful discernment of appropriate and engaging classes each term and the recruitment, support, and training of qualified teachers for each class.
• Facilitate a ministry of missions, empowering students to use their time and talents to serve the needs of our neighbor, both locally and globally.
• Partner with other church staff to facilitate our congregation’s Confirmation Ministry, working with teachers and other key leaders to vision and implement an innovative and comprehensive ministry for faith development and membership in the United Methodist church.
• Supervise any additional Student Ministry staff, empowering and enabling them to develop their own gifts for ministry within the vision and mission for Hixson UMC.
• Develop a “Team” approach to Student Ministry by recruiting, equipping and training an adequate number of responsible leaders for each area of responsibility.
• Promote and facilitate a safe atmosphere and healthy relationships as outlined in the Hixson UMC Safe Sanctuary Policy.
• Write and maintain the Student Ministry Budget on a yearly basis, utilizing its resources appropriately to implement ministry to students.
• Administer and oversee all off-site events and programs within Hixson Student Ministry, including one-night events, retreats and extended trips.
• Empower, enable and develop leadership among the youth and young adults, offering them as much ownership and responsibility of the ministry as appropriate.
• Promote the incorporation of students into the life and ministry of the congregation including worship, leadership teams and other congregational events and ministries.
• Coordinate consistent and effective communication regarding the Student Ministry mission and all programs, events and activities.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Christian Formation and Family Ministry.
TO APPLY: Qualified applicants can apply by sending your resume to:
Hixson United Methodist Church –
Youth Ministry Resume
5301 Old Hixson Pike
Hixson, TN 37343
No phone calls please.
You may learn more about our congregation through our website: www.hixsonumc.org, or visit our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or YouTube profiles.
Hixson United Methodist Church
United Methodist Church
5301 Old Hixson Pike, Hixson, TN 37343
March 9, 2021