Menlo Church is a multisite church in the San Francisco Bay area and a member of ECO: A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians. The Director of Student Ministries is a key member of our team in Menlo Park, California. As part of a multisite church, our Menlo Park Director of Student Ministries needs to have a strong collaborative nature and be able to work in a matrix organization. You’ll work closely with our Menlo Park team and report directly to the Menlo Park Campus Pastor. You’ll collaborate with Student Ministry Directors from other locations, supervise one Student Ministry staff member, and have a dotted line reporting relationship with the Central Students Director. All of our locations comprise one church where everyone is welcome, nobody’s perfect, and anything’s possible.
Our Menlo Park Director of Student Ministries must model what it means to live a faith-filled life with integrity. You must be above reproach as you provide spiritual leadership to our middle and high school students, their families, and our congregation as a whole. You will work with the Campus Pastor and other staff to cast vision, implement programming and services, and inspire others to love and follow Jesus more deeply. As a seasoned ministry leader, your priorities will be recruiting, training, shepherding, and developing student leaders and adult volunteers as well as managing, developing, and investing in our additional Student Ministry staff.
Our Director of Student Ministries must also be passionate about building relationships and forging partnerships with schools, businesses, non-profits, and other social services to serve our student population and their families. Additionally, you and your team will encourage and equip students to reflect Jesus’s love for those in need through serving neighbors and our local community. Our ideal candidate will be a strong collaborator, feel called to serve middle and high school students, and have a heart for raising up leaders. At Menlo Church, our staff is a team of humble, hopeful, and gritty Jesus-followers who do what we do so that people can find and follow Jesus.
- Work as a cohesive unit with our Menlo Park team, shaping the future of our campus.
- Work with Menlo Park campus staff to plan and execute events and services to reach our neighborhood (weekly worship services, Easter, Serve Your City, Christmas Eve, and special drive-through events).
- Manage and lead Student Ministry staff; set SMART goals and create a pathway to achieve results, meet 1-on-1 weekly or biweekly with your team to coach, develop, hold accountable, and invest in each member, both in their leadership and discipleship.
- Implement the Menlo Students strategy that draws middle and high school students to Menlo Church, integrates them into the larger body of the church, and launches them into a lifetime of faith in Jesus Christ.
- Work with Menlo Park student staff to plan and execute trainings and Middle to High School transition events.
- Implement strategies to partner with parents and equip them to be the primary spiritual presence in a students’ life.
- Recruit, train, and lead adult volunteers and student leaders to lead life groups and help own the weekly services.
- Responsible for the safety of all students, ensuring adult and teen leaders are screened, participate in mandated training, and maintain healthy boundaries.
- Shepherd and develop student leaders.
- Oversee Student Ministry Life Groups that are split by gender and led by adult volunteers.
- Oversee weekly Middle and High School student experiences.
- Develop positive working relationship with local middle and high schools and be a physical presence on campus.
- Collaborate with the Central Staff and Student Ministry Directors from other locations on teaching, writing developmentally appropriate curriculum lessons, training leaders, event planning, and other special projects.
- Manage multiple projects, prioritize tasks, and intelligently delegate.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships by actively living out and championing our staff values of being humble, hopeful, and gritty.
- Additional duties and special projects as assigned by the Campus Pastor, Menlo Park.
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalency
- Some college coursework
- Minimum 2-years’ experience leading a youth ministry
Preferred Education and Experience
- Experience overseeing and developing both staff and lay leaders in ministry
- Experience working in a church with multiple locations
- College degree
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong theological foundation
- Knowledgeable about student/youth ministry best practices
- Strong written and spoken communication skills
- Enthusiastic and high energy leadership style
- High Emotional Intelligence (EQ)
- Positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills
- Team player and team builder with a focus on the vision of the whole church
- Proficiency with Zoom and Microsoft Office Suite, especially Outlook, Excel, & Word
- Planning Center Online (PCO)
- Familiarity with MS Teams, LEADR, Dropbox, Pro-Presenter, MailChimp, and Fellowship One
- Ability to speak effectively before small and large groups
- Stand or sit for prolonged amounts of time
- Walk, bend, twist, and kneel
- Climb up and down stairs
- Finger and hand dexterity to operate computer and office equipment
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, and peripheral vision; and the ability to adjust focus
- Occasionally lift and carry up to 20 pounds with or without assistance
- This job typically operates in a professional office or church environment with standard office equipment such as computers, printers, filing cabinets, and telephones
- Days and hours of work are generally business hours Sunday-Thursday with an occasional Friday, Saturday, or evenings, as needed
Menlo Church Spiritual Requirements
- Must have an intimate, personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- Must be a committed disciple of Christ and committed to serving God and the body of Christ
- Must have compatible theology in alignment with ECO essential tenets
- Must be pursuing or active in a community of believers who can speak truth into your life
Menlo Park Presbyterian Church
950 Santa Cruz Avenue, Menlo Park , CA 94025
September 30, 2021