Position Title: Director of Student Ministries
Department: Student Ministries-General / Saratoga
Supervisor: Campus Pastor, Saratoga
Direct Reports: n/a
Classification: Regular / Part time 20-hours per week / Non-Exempt
Menlo is a multisite church in the San Francisco Bay area and a member of ECO: A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians. The Director of Student Ministries is a key member of our team in Saratoga, California. As part of a multisite church, our Saratoga Director of Student Ministries needs to have a strong collaborative nature and be able to work in a matrix organization. You’ll work closely with our campus team and report directly to the Campus Pastor. In addition, you’ll collaborate with Student Ministry Directors from other locations and have a dotted line reporting relationship with the Central Director of NextGen Ministries. All our locations comprise one church where everyone is welcome, nobody’s perfect, and anything’s possible.
The Director of Student Ministries will work with the Campus Pastor and other staff to cast vision, implement programming and services, and inspire others to love and follow Jesus more deeply. Our Director of Student Ministries will model what it means to live a faith-filled life with integrity. You must be above reproach as you provide spiritual leadership to our middle and high school students, their families, and our congregation as a whole. The Director of Student Ministries will focus on recruiting, training, shepherding, and developing student leaders and adult volunteers.
Our Director of Student Ministries must be passionate about building relationships with and serving our neighbors and local community. We are in an affluent residential neighborhood in Saratoga across the street from Saratoga High School. As we grow our team, we are committed to finding qualified staff that reflect the populations we serve. Approximately 40% of our current congregation are Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean, and Indian. We want to find a Director of Student Ministries who embraces working with a wide variety of people and has a heart for diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our Director of Student Ministries will be out in the community serving and forging partnerships with schools, businesses, non-profits, and other social services to serve our student population and their families. As the Saratoga Director of Student Ministries, you will extend God’s love and mercy to those we serve.
Our current numbers are small, but we want to increase our presence in the neighborhood, reach more students, and support their families. We are looking for someone who will bring fresh ideas to the table, take initiative, and be able to execute plans through completion. Since this is a part-time position, it is important that our new Director of Student Ministries has good time management skills, can plan work appropriately, and meet deadlines efficiently. Our ideal candidate will be a strong collaborator, feel called to serve students, and be committed to raising up leaders. At Menlo Church, our staff is a team of humble, hopeful, and gritty Jesus-followers who do what we do so that people can find and follow Jesus.
- Work as a cohesive unit with our Saratoga campus team.
- As time permits and as directed by the Campus Pastor, work with the Saratoga campus staff to plan and execute events and services to reach our community (weekly worship services, Easter, Serve Your City, Christmas Eve, and special drive-through events).
- Implement the Menlo Students strategy that draws middle and high school students to Menlo Church and launches them into a lifetime of faith in Jesus Christ.
- Partner with parents in the spiritual development of their students.
- Recruit, train, and lead adult volunteers and student leaders to lead small groups and help own weekly large group gatherings.
- Responsible for the safety of all students. Work with the Campus Administrator to ensure adult leaders are screened, participate in mandated trainings, and maintain healing boundaries.
- Shepherd and develop student leaders.
- Oversee Student Ministry Life Groups that are split by gender and led by adult volunteers.
- Oversee weekly student gatherings.
- Establish and build positive working relationships with staff and administrators at Saratoga High School. Find a mutually beneficial way to be a physical presence on campus.
- As needed, meet with the Central NextGen team and Student Ministry Directors from other locations to support one another and own ad hoc projects.
- Manage multiple projects, prioritize tasks, and intelligently delegate.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships by actively living out and championing our staff values of being humble, hopeful, and gritty.
- Additional duties and special projects as assigned by the Campus Pastor, Saratoga.
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalency
- Some college coursework
- Minimum 2-years’ experience leading a youth ministry
Preferred Education and Experience
- Experience overseeing and developing both staff and lay leaders in ministry
- Experience working in a church with multiple locations
- College degree
Knowledge and Skills
- Experience working with people from different cultures
- Strong theological foundation
- Knowledgeable about student/youth ministry best practices
- Strong written and spoken communication skills
- Enthusiastic and high energy leadership style
- High Emotional Intelligence (EQ)
- Positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills
- Team player and team builder with a focus on the vision of the whole church
- Proficiency with common office applications and collaboration tools, including Zoom, MS 365, Teams, Leadr, and PCO; comfortable learning new technology, software, and applications
- Ability to speak effectively before small and large groups
- Stand or sit for prolonged amounts of time
- Walk, bend, twist, and kneel
- Climb up and down stairs
- Finger and hand dexterity to operate computer and office equipment
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, and peripheral vision; and the ability to adjust focus
- Lift and carry up to 20 pounds with or without assistance
- This job typically operates in a professional office or church environment with standard office equipment such as computers, printers, filing cabinets, and telephones
- Days and hours of work are generally business hours Sunday-Thursday with an occasional Friday, Saturday, or evenings, as needed
- Effective November 1, 2021, all Menlo Staff will be required to abide by the Menlo COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
Menlo Church Spiritual Requirements
- Must have an intimate, personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- Must be a committed disciple of Christ and committed to serving God and the body of Christ
- Must have compatible theology in alignment with ECO essential tenets
- Must be pursuing or active in a community of believers who can speak truth into your life
ECO: A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians
20455 Herriman Avenue
February 6, 2022