Director of Student Ministries
Overall, this position will plan a year-round calendar of experiences for youth from 7th grade through college. Responsible for planning, implementing and evaluating all of youth and college age education programs and events. This position will be 30 hours per week with the ability to grow into a full time, 40 hour per week position as the program grows and develops.
1. Mature Christian character with a solid theological foundation and a desire for ministry.
2. College degree in relevant field or comparable experience working with youth and
young adults, volunteers and staff.
3. Experience with Christian education and program resources.
4. Demonstrated ability to recruit, motivate, train and supervise volunteers.
5. Commitment to a team approach to ministry.
6. Good written, interpersonal, and oral communication skills.
7. Ability to plan for and manage financial resources.
8. Ability to be self-directed and to multi-task.
9. Ability to relate with/to youth and young adults as well as their family members.
10. Be up to date on CPR/First Aid and Safe Sanctuary Training.
To Whom Responsible
The Lead Pastor
1. Oversight of all ministry for youth and college students.
2. Plan and implement a program of Christian Education for youth in grades 7-12, including weekly Sunday School and coordination of the confirmation program.
3. Plan and facilitate Sunday evening youth programs that are appealing and grow attendance.
4. Engage with youth in the community through schools, extracurricular activities and other events.
5. Plan and facilitate weekly youth lunch during the school year.
6. Plan and facilitate 1-2 annual youth retreats yearly.
7. Supervise, lead, support, and empower volunteers, parents and others supporting the ministry.
8. Work in coordination with Pastors, Music Ministries, and Children/Family Ministries, for crossover events that showcase unity in the entire church.
9. Develop and implement Mission opportunities for youth.
10. Be available to counsel with youth and college students as needed.
11. Plan events to remain connected with our college students.
12. Serve as a member of the Program Staff and attend weekly Program Staff meetings.
13. Attend general staff meetings.
14. Attend Church Council meetings as needed.
15. Perform other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor after consultation and mutual agreement
First United Methodist Church of Oak Ridge
United Methodist Church
130 Oak Ridge Turnpike, Oak Ridge, TN 37830
August 26, 2021