Gruene UMC in New Braunfels, TX is looking for a full-time Director of Student Ministries. He/she will be responsible for shaping and growing the ministry for students in our area, grades 6- 12. We are praying for someone who is creative, energetic, and has a heart to meet youth where they are and walk with them as they make a stronger or first time connection with Jesus. Gruene UMC is an 12 year old growing congregation worshiping about 700 to 750. Gruene UMC is very outreach and mission oriented, so being out in the community to love and serve others is an ethos we value and desire any candidate to embrace. Want to know more about Gruene? Go to our website www.grueneumc.org to check us out and watch our worship. You can also check out the Student Ministry Facebook page Five:32 or on Instagram @gumcfive32. Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to our Director of Children and Family Ministries, Amy Howell at firstname.lastname@example.org
Gruene United Methodist Church
Director of Student Ministries
- The Director of Student Ministries is a person of mature faith with a passionate love for Jesus, knowledge of the Scriptures, and an ability to engage students and families with Christ’s message in today’s culture.
- This person believes their calling in life to be facilitating the Christ-focused spiritual development of students and their families and will be vision-driven.
- He/she needs to love and relate well to students, but understand that their primary role is to lead and care for the servant volunteers while equipping them to minister to the young disciples in our midst.
- He/she will partner with parents and will recruit, develop and support a Servant Volunteer Team to create environments where we build relationships with students in 6th-12th grades and help equip them for the service of Christ.
- He/she understands that the best way to do this is by training, equipping, and partnering with parents in the spiritual formation of their students.
- He/she is a teacher of teachers, an on-going learner, a supportive colleague, and a positive role model for our families and their teenagers.
- Develop trust and rapport in relationships with students, servant volunteers and parents;
- Recruit, train and support servant volunteers to effectively communicate the Gospel to students in a relevant and engaging style for worship, discipleship, evangelism, fellowship and outreach. This may include, but is not limited to, small groups, large group gatherings, mission trips, service opportunities, retreats, Bible studies and other ministries that foster positive spiritual formation environments and engage students and their families where they are;
- To nurture, foster, and create a safe environment for students and their families where they experience the love of God most powerfully through serving others and through the relationships they build with one another, their families, and with the larger community of faith;
- Partner with the Director of Children and Family Ministries to support and partner with parents in the spiritual formation of their students, training and equipping them to have discussions with and to teach their teenagers about God’s love for them, what it means to be a follower of Christ, and what it means to be part of a community of faith;
- Be intentional about reaching out to unchurched students in our community;
- Work with the Director of Children and Family Ministries to effectively communicate with parents, students, church community and the greater community of Gruene/New Braunfels;
- A mature Christian faith, evidence of the fruits of the Spirit, and a continuing desire for spiritual growth;
- A college degree with a minimum of two years student ministry experience; or any combination of education, training and experience which would provide that knowledge and those skills;
- A demonstrated passion and commitment to the spiritual growth of students and their families;
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to motivate, inspire, equip, and encourage others;
- A creative person who can think “outside the box” but has cultivated the ability to do so effectively from within the structure of a congregational system;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Vibrant faith in Jesus Christ
- Loves to work with and be with students (pre-teen and teen), and finds joy in helping them deepen their relationship with God
- Realizes that one is more effective in reaching more students as you develop other adults, students and parents as leaders
- Servant attitude
- Self starter
Spiritual Gifts may include:
- Reports to the Staff Parish Relations Committee, regarding concerns, joys and possibilities, through the Director of Children and Family Ministries
- Works with the Director of Children and Family Ministries and is aligned in strategy for all children in our care, birth through high school
- Supervises the work of all servant volunteers in Student Ministry
- This is a salaried position ($36K base pay annually). Hours are approximately forty hours per week including, but not limited to, Sunday mornings, Student Leadership Team Meetings, Servant Volunteer Team Meetings, meetings with the Director of Children and Family Ministries, Staff Meetings and Administrative Council meetings. Seasonal demands on time may vary (i.e. summer mission trips).
- Following a six month probationary period, the employee will be entitled to two weeks paid time off, based upon weekly paid hours. (Paid Time Off includes time away from an employee’s job responsibilities for such things as vacation, sick leave, holidays, and funeral leave.)
- Compensatory time must be worked out with the employee’s direct supervisor and must be taken within a two week time period of the accrued compensatory time.
- This is an exempt position. The employee is not entitled to overtime pay.
- This position does not include the benefit of health insurance or retirement plan.
Gruene United Methodist Church
United Methodist Church
2629 Common Street, New Braunfels, TX 78130
June 19, 2018