Director of Family Life
About Faith Lutheran Church and Chico, CA
Faith Lutheran Church is a vibrant, Spirit-led faith community committed to living out our faith through worship, learning, service to our neighbors, and by pursuing justice, reconciliation, and wholeness for all. We value the talents of our members and seek ways to include and empower each person to live out God’s love for their neighbors. Chico is a beautiful university town located at the base of the Sierra mountains and surrounded by orchards. The 3,670 acre park in the center of town is the heart of Chico, California State University is its pride, and the Sierra Nevada Brewery/Headquarters is its joy. With an average annual temperature of 75 degrees, an average commute time of 17 minutes, and a location right off the I-5 between Portland and San Francisco that serves as an ideal stop for touring bands, Chico offers the best of California living without the headaches. The congregation has an average Sunday attendance of 160 and is composed of the professional demographics that reflect the main economic bases of the town: academia, farming, and medicine. We are people who love learning, love the land, and love the Lord. For more information visit: chicofaithlutheran.org
Overview of the Position
We seek a fulltime professional to oversee age-specific ministries for children, teens, and young adults, as well as oversee small group ministries for adults. The Director of Family life ensures that people of every age have meaningful intentional community in which to be loved, learn, and use their unique spiritual gifts to serve others. In Christ, we are all part of God’s family, the Director of Family Life connects people with their spiritual family at Faith.
- Create and implement age specific programing for youth, and families: Sunday School (infant-6th grade), Confirmation (middle school), Youth Group (middle/high school), College, Parent, and cross-generational ministry.
- Oversee the training and support of adult small group leaders as well as the placement of new members into small groups.
- Collaborate with Equipping Ministry to identify members’ spiritual gifts and connect them to ministry where they can joyfully serve.
- Recruit, coordinate, lead, and guide adult and youth helpers for youth programs, activities, and special events.
- Coordinate participation in special events such as Vacation Bible School, an annual mission trip to Baja California, Mexico, and regional and national youth gatherings
- Seek to integrate youth ministry into all phases of church life to create a culture that is intentionally intergenerational, striving to unite with and complement other church ministries
- As an active member of the congregation, with the pastor and worship director be a voice for youth and families in the planning and implementation of worship, focus on integrating/incorporating all ages into worship leading and participation, as well as connecting our worship in the sanctuary with our service in the world.
- Collaborate with ministry teams to create and manage budgets for service work and youth ministry
- Share with the congregation and community the stories of faith in action through print and online media.
Skills and Knowledge
- Have good communication and interpersonal skills to relate to all age ranges
- Be an engaging teacher
- Be a self-motivated leader capable of casting and imparting vision for ministry
- Be able to recruit, train, and lead volunteers to discern and use their spiritual gifts
- Be able to recruit, train, and lead children and youth to be full participants in the community
- Be able to work efficiently and effectively with the church staff
- Be able to pass a background check
$54,080 salary plus health benefits and employer contribution to 401(k); four weeks paid vacation, paid time and budget for continuing education
In addition to your resume and cover letter, please submit a lesson or activity you have done with either a preschool, elementary school, or high school age group to Cindy Kampf at email@example.com. Review of applications will begin April 19th.
Faith Lutheran Church
Evangelical Lutheran Church of America
667 E 1st Ave
March 18, 2021