Director of Discipleship for Children and Youth
Position: Director of Discipleship for Children and Youth
Reports to: Pastor of Faith Formation
Supported by: Personnel Team, Congregation Council, and Staff
Classification: Full Time, Exempt
The Director of Discipleship for Children and Youth will provide dynamic leadership to Resurrection’s ministry to and with children, youth, and their families, thereby enabling the congregation to fulfill its calling to welcome, nurture, equip, and serve.
- Nurture caring relationships with all Resurrection people, especially parents, children, and youth
- Design and develop faith formation programs for birth through grade 5
- Design and develop faith formation programs for middle and high school students
- Equip parents and caretakers to form faith at home
- Identify, equip, and support lay leaders and mentors for ministry to and with children and youth
- Oversee and shape confirmation program in collaboration with the Pastor of Faith Formation
- Provide faith formation opportunities for children and youth beyond the walls of the church building
- Cultivate opportunities for intergenerational faith formation
- Leverage the gifts and resources of Resurrection to engage children, youth, and/or families outside the congregation
- Encourage lifelong faith formation among all Resurrection people and staff
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in education, theology, Christian formation, or related field; Master’s Degree preferred
- Experience and training in faith formation theory and practices for all ages, but especially birth through 18 years
- Three years’ experience in full-time ministry to children and/or youth (including demonstrated capacity to serve both)
- Mission Ownership: Demonstrates understanding and full support of the holy purpose and core values of Resurrection Lutheran Church. Can teach those values to others. Sets individual and team goals that align with the holy purpose and core values of RLC. Commits to the shared life of the congregation by becoming a member of RLC.
- Mature, Vibrant Faith: Committed to worship, prayer, and continued spiritual growth. Able to model generosity and compassion to people of all ages.
- Biblical Knowledge: Demonstrates a firm grasp of the overall narrative of the Bible. Competent to guide others in the exploration and discovery of the teachings of scripture.
- Theological Perspective: Embraces a Lutheran understanding of Christian faith as expressed within the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Committed to engaging the Lutheran theological tradition with contemporary life and ministry.
- Ministry Administration and Communication: Manages time, resources, and projects effectively. Communicates consistently and clearly with colleagues and parishioners.
- Professional Growth: Maintains annual membership in the ELCA Youth Ministry Network. Seeks regular opportunities to sharpen skills and gain new insights into ministry.
- Leadership Development: Ability to assess talent, maturity, and spiritual giftedness. Invites a broad range of parishioners to share in ownership and development of ministry. Understands and provides what volunteers need to succeed.
- Teaching Skills: Designs lessons with clear objectives and devises ways to assess whether objectives are met. Seeks intentionally to engage all learners with a variety of methods and approaches.
- Intergenerational Engagement: Committed to building relationships across generations. Explores and provides opportunities for members of various generations to learn with and from one another.
- Use of Technology: Employs best practices in use of social media and other technology to build relationships. Capable of using digital platforms to foster collaboration.
- Welcoming: Embraces and reflects the commitment of Resurrection to welcome all people in all aspects of our life together. Fosters an environment within ministry programs to extend that welcome. Trains volunteers to provide a welcoming presence to children, youth, and families of all backgrounds.
- Collaborative: Takes an active interest in the work of other staff members. Seeks feedback and contributions from others. Cares for people and ministry beyond the immediate scope of role.
For more information or to apply (with cover letter and résumé) contact email@example.com.
Resurrection Lutheran Church
Evangelical Lutheran Church of America
445 E Stop 11 Road, Indianapolis, IN 46217
September 17, 2019