HILAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
DIRECTOR OF CHRISTIAN FORMATION
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Director of Christian Formation nurtures the faith of people of all ages at Hiland Presbyterian Church and in the North Hills community. The Director does this by providing opportunities for learning about the Christian faith and the Bible, developing and implementing programming, building relationships, and working in conjunction with committees, volunteers, and other staff.
REPORTS TO: Pastor/Head of Staff, Christian Education Committee
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, exempt. Refer to the Human Resources Handbook for guidelines regarding sick days and vacation time. Six of the vacation days may be used on Sundays.
- Develops and implements all programming related to Christian formation for all ages. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Youth group and Bible study for youth
- Children’s education and worship
- Confirmation Class
- Vacation Bible School
- Retreats (Youth, Confirmation, etc.)
- Middle School and High School Mission Trips
- Providing resources for and coordinating adult education programs
- Provides opportunities for age-appropriate mission opportunities, both locally and remotely.
- Acts as a spiritual guide in times of both need and joy, and provides encouragement.
- Coordinates, trains, and leads those volunteering with children, youth, and young adults, and ensures volunteers have the clearances necessary to work with minors.
- Oversees nursery workers and reports their monthly hours to the payroll department for compensation.
- Maintains a working relationship with the Hiland Preschool and Hiland Child Care Center to nurture the faith of children who attend there.
- Participates in weekly staff meetings and monthly campus-wide staff meetings.
- Participates in Christian Education Committee meetings.
- Attends Session meetings when requested to do so by the Pastor/Head of Staff.
- Collaborates with the youth ministries at nearby churches, especially those with whom the church has a standing relationship, to host and facilitate combined events for fellowship, service, study, and worship.
- Is involved with Presbytery and Synod programs and initiatives related to children, youth, and young adults, such as the Trinity Youth Conference, Next Generation Team, and North Branch Youth Leaders.
- Coordinates fundraising efforts related to children, youth, and young adult ministries.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- A bachelor’s degree, or commensurate experience.
- A minimum of two years of experience in children and/or youth ministry is preferred.
OTHER ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Committed Christian with a desire to teach and nurture others in the faith.
- Has appropriate and necessary clearances to work with children and youth in the state of Pennsylvania, and a valid driver’s license. A background check will be completed prior to being hired.
- Easily relates to people of all ages.
- Able to effectively organize and implement programs.
- Able to identify, develop, lead, and work with volunteers.
- Communicates effectively with individuals, families, volunteers, committees, and staff.
- Displays initiative and enthusiasm.
- Dependable, organized, and self-motivated.
- Pastor/Head of Staff
- Church Staff
- Campus Staff
- Christian Education Committee and other committees as needed
- Hiland Preschool
- Hiland Child Care Center
- Surrounding Community
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Minimum salary of $42,000 (commensurate with education and experience)
- Employee health insurance
- 403B contribution matching available
- Study allowance and expense allowance
Those interested in this position should submit a cover letter and resume to Pastor Elisabeth Hartwell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hiland Presbyterian Church
Presbyterian Church USA
845 Perry Hwy. Pittsburgh, PA 15229
December 2, 2021