Director of Children’s & Youth Ministry
Job Title & Summary: Westerville Community United Church of Christ (WCUCC) is an Open & Affirming congregation in the suburbs of Columbus, Ohio, currently seeking a Director of Children’s & Youth Ministry.
The successful candidate will engage children of all ages in our church activities, including worship, Sunday School, and youth group. This position works with families to make church a meaningful part of children’s & youth lives. The successful candidate will share the church’s values for creating a welcoming environment for all, and will comfortably embrace and teach the theology of WCUCC.
Reports to: Associate Pastor
FLSA Status: Exempt; salary
Hours: 30 hours per week; potential to become 40 hours per week after 1-2 years as the children’s & youth program grows and the demands increase.
Salary & Benefits: Starting salary range is $30,000-34,000 annually. Benefits include 2 weeks of paid vacation plus holidays, and the church’s contribution to a healthcare allowance. Compensation and benefits shall be established annually by the Board of Human Resources in consultation with the Boards of Christian Education and Trustees and approved by Church Council.
Start Date: Negotiable, with preference for January, 2022.
- Attend weekly worship services and fellowship time, prioritizing relationship-building with members. Occasionally lead the Children’s Sermon, and assist with the service and/or children’s programming as necessary.
- Lead middle and high school youth groups. This includes determining the best model and weekly schedule for these age groups; recruiting & working with volunteer leaders; planning and leading an annual youth retreat; and possible fundraising for special events.
- Lead & support Sunday School. Serve as the primary leader for high school Sunday school. In partnership with the Board of Christian Education (CE) and the Associate Pastor, provide leadership in finding Sunday school volunteer teachers, and choosing or developing curriculum for kids of all ages. Assist Sunday school teachers with lesson preparation as necessary.
- Plan Joyful Noise Kids’ Worship (grades PreK-5) each week and prepare materials for volunteers to lead the activities.
- Co-lead Confirmation Class with the pastors (once per month).
- Work with youth to prepare, and empower them to lead, the annual Youth Sunday worship service.
- Involve youth with annual inter-generational and/or youth-focused mission trip as the primary leader for youth on the trip.
- Develop and lead the middle school Vacation Bible Adventure program in the summer (one week only, takes place in the evening).
- Work with the Board of Christian Education and volunteers to offer monthly youth groups for younger children.
- Communicate regularly with youth and parents throughout the year.
- Counsel youth and their parents as necessary, or refer to pastors or professional counselors as appropriate.
- Attend monthly Christian Education board meetings and provide updates; attend monthly Council meetings as invited.
- Develop and lead new programming as needs arise to support our children and youth in their spiritual development.
- Engage in youth ministry continuing education.
Position Requirements & Qualifications:
- A college degree is strongly preferred, but a combination of formal education and related training and experience will be considered.
- Must be experienced in working with children and youth, preferably in a church setting.
- Must submit information for a background check and results must meet expectations.
- The successful candidate will be required to complete Child Abuse Prevention training and follow all WCUCC protection and integrity policies.
- The successful candidate will be certified in First-Aid and CPR, or must complete the training through the church.
The Church’s Director of Children & Youth Ministry position requires the following skill sets:
- Relationship builder
- Available and accessible to the youth and parents, creating an inclusive environment for all children and youth
- Personable and energetic
- Connects easily with both young children & older youth, recognizing that relationships with young children now builds a strong middle & high school youth program of the future
- Builds and encourages relationships among the children and youth
- Engages with all members of WCUCC in a way that demonstrates the love of God, supporting the pastors’ and church leaders’ efforts in nurturing a safe and respectful environment
- Spiritual leader, with an understanding of the Bible and comfort discussing with children and youth in age-appropriate ways. Comfortable teaching and leading the theology of the United Church of Christ.
- Team oriented
- Great communicator, and uses social media or other communication tools to connect with youth and families
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to: Rev. Susan Langner at Susan@westervilleCucc.org.
Westerville Community United Church of Christ
United Church of Christ
770 County Line Road Westerville
January 5, 2022