Job Title: Director of Children’s Ministry (birth to fifth grade) Purpose: First Presbyterian Church of Plymouth is a loving and faith-filled congregation of 800 members, located midway between Detroit and Ann Arbor. The Director of Children’s Ministry will work with, coordinate, participate in, and oversee all aspects of FPCP’s programs for children with the goal of building a foundation on which they can become lifelong disciples of Christ. The Director will carry out the duties and programs as assigned by the Associate Minister in conjunction with the Christian Nurture Committee (CN), as listed in the objectives outlined below. Reports To: Associate Minister; works in conjunction with Christian Nurture Committee. Hours: Part time – 20-25 hours per week; (Sundays and 2-3 weekdays required). Objectives: Programming
- Develop, implement, and participate in programs that allow children to engage in age-appropriate spiritual and biblical formation actively, creatively, and joyfully. Examples include (but are not limited to) Sunday School, midweek program, Vacation Bible School, mission activities, and family fellowship events.
- Work with children’s ministry volunteers and the CN committee to expand current programs and develop new ones, including ones that reach our less-connected families and families who are watching worship online.
- Coordinate the children’s budget with the CN and Finance Committees to ensure alignment with the overall church budget.
- Liaise with the Director of Youth Ministry to support the transition of children and their families to youth programs.
- Supervise the Nursery Care Coordinator and assist with general nursery maintenance.
Pastoral Care, Spiritual Development, and Community-Building
- Provide compassionate care as needed to children and their families.
- Develop relationships with children, parents, and volunteers.
- Partner with parents and volunteers to provide a space where children are affirmed as they begin to engage in faith exploration.
- Utilize a variety of tools (emails, mailings, social media, texting apps) to communicate regularly with parents about what children are learning in various ministries and to advertise for future events.
- Invite and integrate children into worship, reflecting the desire for greater intergenerational fellowship.
- Network with parents and the congregation to recruit volunteers.
- Educate, train, and follow-up with volunteers to ensure program execution, growth, and leadership development.
- Participate in church meetings, staff meetings, and CN meetings as appropriate.
- Maintain a yearly calendar, work plans, and a summary report of duties performed.
- Maintain office hours as agreed to by the Associate Minister.
- Report issues as appropriate to the ministerial staff.
- Perform other duties and tasks as required.
Qualifications: Comply with denominational and state safety regulations when working with minors. Adhere to church family ministry safety policies. Bachelor’s degree in a related field is preferred, but not required. Must have relevant experience in leading and coordinating children ministry and education.
Note: This listing is for a part-time position that leads children’s ministry at FPCP.
As we seek the individual God is calling, we are happy to consider qualified candidates who prefer a full-time position that would be responsible for both Children’s and Youth ministries. If you are interested in this full-time position, please refer to the job posting for “Director of Family Ministries” (which can also be found on this website). Or contact us directly via the email below.
To Apply: Please send email with resume to our search committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
First Presbyterian Church of Plymouth, Michigan
Presbyterian Church USA
701 Church Street. Plymouth, Michigan
May 18, 2022