Director, Youth and Family Ministries
Full Time Exempt, Benefits
Priority deadline to apply: May 15, 2019, open until filled
Job Summary: Date: May 2019
Develop, oversee, and grow the Youth and Family Ministry at First Presbyterian Church of Berkeley in fulfillment of the church’s mission and vision, with direct involvement in the High School Ministry.
Christian Formation of High School Students through Weekly Programs (30%)
- Develop and implement short term/long term goals and coordinate curriculum and vision for Youth Ministry.
- Develop and oversee Sunday morning High School and Middle Hour program including curriculum development, worship, and activities.
- Lead weekly Thursday night High School program. Develop and/or select Bible Study curriculum.
- Develop, train, and equip a high school leadership and volunteer teams to take ownership of the youth ministry.
- Meet with students and leaders on a regular basis, walking with them as they seek to be faithfully formed into the image of Christ.
- Connect regularly with parents as pastor to them, partnering with parents in the formation of their children.
- Train and motivate adult volunteers for leadership in Youth Ministry, and meet with them on a regular basis, equipping them for faithful ministry.
Special Events (25%)
- Provide leadership, training, and participation for retreats and special events.
- Organize special mission trips (e.g. Mexico). Prepare self and students, train volunteers, and participate in trips. Arrange for necessary logistics.
- Plan missional and social events appropriate for High School students.
- Participate in annual All Church Conference.
- Partner with Director of Children and Family Ministries in the development and implementation of Vacation Bible School (VBS).
Church Leadership/Administration (15%)
- Ensure the visibility of the Youth in Sunday Worship, including worship leadership responsibilities.
- Attend staff and church leadership meetings as appropriate.
- Supervise Youth Coordinator in the leadership of Middle School Ministry.
- Collaborate with Director of Choirs in development of Network Choir.
- Create and maintain yearly Youth Department budget.
- Adhere to Church Policies regarding forms and safety procedures.
- Maintain Youth Department weekly newsletter and website for regular communication.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree, Masters of Divinity or Theology; Masters Youth Ministry desired
- A growing and deepening faith in Jesus Christ.
- Three to five years of prior experience in leading youth ministry, including curriculum and event planning, speaking, and supervising other youth staff and volunteers.
- Possess a solid theology and philosophy of how youth ministry fits in the life of the church.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, oversee, and grow a ministry program.
- Demonstrated ability to be a mature and engaging presence in the lives of students
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, motivate, and work graciously with volunteers.
- Excellent communication skills to large and small groups, including interpersonal and people skills, discretion, and ability to hold confidentiality.
- Desire to grow as a teacher and mentor.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills to prioritize and implement multiple programs.
- Proficient knowledge of software programs and web-based applications, which may include: Microsoft Office 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Microsoft Publisher, Google Drive and Docs, and familiarity with using database programs. Willing and able to apply advanced features in software and applications, and learn new programs and applications as needed.
Reports to: Associate Pastor for Christian Formation
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts the right of First Presbyterian Church leadership to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
How to Apply:
- Visit fpcberkeley.org/employment.asp for our application form.
- Return the completed application form along with your cover letter and resume to Bonnie Rauscher, Human Resources Manager at email@example.com
or mail to Bonnie Rauscher, First Presbyterian Church of Berkeley, 2407 Dana St., Berkeley, CA 94704
Priority Deadline: May 15, 2019. Rolling review upon receipt.
Early Applications are encouraged.
Position will remain open until filled.
Final job offer will be contingent on passing a criminal record background ch
First Presbyterian Church of Berkeley
Presbyterian Church USA
2407 Dana St.
May 1, 2019