The Children’s Ministry Coordinator is tasked with creating welcoming, inclusive, and safe environments for newborns-5th graders to explore faith and make meaningful connections in the church. As Children’s Ministry Coordinator, this staff person will be given practical flexibilities in addressing the following areas:
Programs and Relationships
- Works to develop good relationships with the children, caregivers, families, and volunteers.
- Oversees implementation of meaningful programs including weekly Sunday School, annual Vacation Bible School, seasonal Lenten/Advent Vespers, etc.
- Seeks to prioritize an inclusive and multiracial approach to discipleship which aligns with the mission and vision of Christ Presbyterian Church.
- Works in collaboration with the Director of Family Ministries on handoff and joint youth & children’ programs.
- Oversees appropriate safety and risk management policies and practices.
- Works with other committees as appropriate to ensure safe, clean, and age-appropriate program spaces.
- Helps to implement and emphasize identified Family Ministry Milestones in coordination with the Director of Family Ministries.
Committees and Volunteers
- Leads the Children’s Ministry Committee in establishing vision, goals, action steps, curriculum, calendar, and metrics.
- Works in collaboration with Youth and Adult Formation Committees in areas of ministry intersection.
- Recruits, develops, and expresses appreciation of Children’s Ministry volunteers.
- Oversees and implements appropriate Safe Ministry guidelines in accordance with best practices and current PCUSA policy.
Curriculum and Resources
- Leads effort with the Children’s Formation Committee to select and evaluate curriculum. Presents to Session for approval annually.
- Implements curriculum through program volunteers.
- Provides resources for families to promote discipleship of children in the home.
- Oversees inventory and purchasing of necessary supplies, materials, and equipment.
- Supervises nursery staff & volunteers.
- In partnership with the Personnel Committee and Director of Family Ministries, oversees the hiring of nursery workers.
- Oversees scheduling of nursery staff for Sundays and other church events.
- Communicates with caregivers, families, and volunteers on a regular basis.
- Communicates with the church (announcements, Tidings articles, annual report) on a regular basis.
Staff and Administration
- Serves as a member of the Christ Presbyterian Church staff team and attends weekly staff meetings.
- Participates in worship at the direction of the Senior Pastor and Director of Family Ministries, including Children’s Sermon in worship services.
- Manages Children’s Ministry budget.
- Reports metrics on request.
- Meets with supervisor regularly.
- Participates in annual performance review.
- Participates in staff development and training opportunities, as agreed upon with supervisor.
- Other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Minimum 2 years previous experience in children’s ministries required
- Previous experience with PCUSA polity and structure preferred
- Previous participation/membership in an open & affirming church preferred
- Minimum education: high school diploma
- This is a part time position at 20 hours/week, $20/hour.
- Health insurance, dental insurance, on the job training, paid time off included.
- Some remote work available.
Resumes can be sent with a cover letter to email@example.com with “Children’s Ministry Coordinator Application” in the subject line.
Christ Presbyterian Church
Presbyterian Church USA
944 East Gorham Street
September 8, 2021