Meet Calvary Bible Church:
Calvary Bible Church began on January 2, 1889, when four Swedish families gathered to form the Swede Christian Tabernacle. August and Caroline Anderson, Charles and Kate Anderson, John and Mathilda Nelson, and Mr. and Mrs. A.O. Anderson had come to Boulder, Colorado in part because of their desire to freely worship the Lord.
Within four months of their first gathering, they had purchased and built our first building, located at 17th and Spruce, for $500. All services were conducted in Swedish. In the early days, regular teaching and preaching was done by traveling pastors or members of the church.
In 1943, we began our association with the Evangelical Free Church of America, although many of our early members were eager that we retain independence from the denomination’s influence. In 1979, we completed the Kalmia location.
In 1992, Calvary Bible Church called Tom Shirk to be an associate pastor, and then in 1993, he became our senior pastor. Under Tom’s leadership, we embarked on an important organizational reconfiguration which laid the foundation for our future growth and ministry opportunities. We simplified our church structure and established one united board of Elders to provide spiritual leadership for both campuses.
As ministry reach expanded during the ’90s and 2000s, we welcomed an increasing number of church attendees who lived in east Boulder County. As that part of our community continued to grow, we sensed God’s leading to launch a second campus in Erie, 16 miles east of Boulder. On April 16th, 2006, we celebrated Easter with the launch of our Erie campus, which began meeting at the new Erie High School with 200 Calvary members.
In October of 2007, Calvary’s elders commissioned a team to begin searching for land to someday build a permanent church facility in Erie. In March of 2001, the congregation voted to purchase land on the corner of Countyline Rd. and Evans St., closing on the property in August of that year. In November of 2013, we broke ground on the facility, and in August 2014, we held our inaugural service in the new building.
In June of 2019, we celebrated 130 years of God’s faithfulness to Calvary and announced God’s leading to start a third campus. We asked the congregation to continue to pray for God’s leading (Go3 Initiative) as we did not know where the campus would be. Elders commissioned investigatory teams to scout the best location for the 3rd campus. Through prayer, God’s leadership identified Thornton, Colorado to be the location of the new campus. Then, through God’s provision, a facility was provided to Calvary Bible Church by a struggling church in Thornton. After some renovations in the summer of 2020, we launched our third campus in September of 2020, in Thornton.
Today, we continue to live out our vision to make disciples, empower leaders and multiple churches as we seek the Lord for the next season of ministry at Calvary Bible Church.
About the Kids Ministry Director:
The purpose of this position is to build a Christ-centered community of people fully devoted to loving God and loving others by aiding in the implementation of the ministry vision by providing leadership and direction for Children’s Ministries so that children might develop a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and grow in spiritual maturity.
The Kids Ministry Director Will:
Oversight and Direction of Children’s Ministry
- Lead and oversee children’s ministry nursery through 5th grade.
- Lead and coach the children’s ministry staff team.
- Maintain the Children/Youth Protection Policy of the Calvary Bible.
- Ensure that the Children’s Ministries’ vision and mission are in-line with the church’s vision and mission.
- Assess and develop existing classes and initiate new classes as the number of students in particular age groups may necessitate.
- Evaluate facilities used for all educational ministries and make recommendations for potential changes with the Erie Executive Pastor.
- Ensure the safety and security of children via the computer check-in system.
- Maintain communication and promotion for Children’s Ministries.
- Execute the current Children’s Ministries calendar.
- Keep the church informed of the mission and vision of the Children’s Ministries through church publications and approved communications tools.
- Provide leadership to Children’s Ministry volunteers.
- Recruit, develop, and train new and existing leaders and teachers.
- Ensure that all teachers and leaders meet the spiritual and character requirements for ministry leadership.
- Ensure accurate records are maintained and all teachers and leaders are in compliance with Calvary’s Child/Youth Protection Policy.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- The Director of Children’s Ministries in Erie has the authority to carry out and develop these ministry responsibilities in harmony with the Constitution of the church.
Standards of Performance
- After a three (3) month period, the Erie Executive Pastor may make an evaluation. Thereafter, evaluations may occur annually to enhance development and effectiveness.
- The standards of faithfulness, excellence, effectiveness, maturity of attitudes, along with the fruit of the Holy Spirit are expected.
- The Director of Children’s Ministries in Erie is directly accountable to the Erie Executive Pastor.
What You Bring:
Education & Experience
- Undergraduate degree is required.
- 5 years of ministry experience is required.
- Has a vibrant love for Jesus.
- Loves children and families.
- Team builder.
- Visionary – a likable face of ministry.
- Properly fits the Calvary team culture.
- Ability to attract people.
- Ability to be part of the leadership pipeline system.
- Born again with clear evidence of a Godly lifestyle.
- Agreement with Calvary Bible Church Constitution.
What it’s Like to Live in Erie, Colorado:
Erie is a suburb of Denver, Colorado with a population of about 24,000 residents. The Town of Erie is a Statutory Town located in Boulder and Weld counties, about 20 miles north of Denver and 15 miles east of Boulder. This allows easy access to two incredible cities with lots of fun activities, professional sports teams, diverse culture, and who can forget the incredible mountains. If outdoor activities are a part of your life Colorado has the best snow skiing, fly fishing, hiking, mountain biking, one can go on and on about all there is to do in the surrounding area.
The town population was 30,038 at the 2020 United States Census, a +65.64% increase since the 2010 United States Census, yet Erie still has a small-town feel. Erie was a mining town with surrounding farmland. Currently, Erie is a growing bedroom community that has all the amenities of other communities. Downtown Erie is a fun environment to enjoy with farmer’s markets, concerts in the park, great dining experiences, and parades. The town of Erie still has a homecoming parade that thousands come and watch.
The great part about working at the Erie Campus is that most of the staff and congregation live in Erie, send their kids to school in Erie, shop in Erie, and go to the community center to worship together. Being a community church means your everyday life and spirituality are connected to our community.
This is the town of Erie’s website for more information.
Calvary Bible Church
Evangelical Free Church of America
615 Evans St, Erie, CO 80516
February 16, 2022