ASSOCIATE MINISTER FOR YOUTH AND FAMILIES
Crestwood Christian Church
Reports to: Senior Pastor
The Minister of Youth and Families will work with the Ministerial Staff Team to develop and administer a vibrant, active youth ministry, college ministry and young adult ministry. In addition, this minister will provide ministry programs and opportunities for the families of the church, taking into consideration the varied definitions of “family” that exist within the congregation.
The Minister of Youth and Families will work with the following Ministry Teams, providing leadership, generating and encouraging new ideas, and acting as a resource to help the team achieve their goals. Responsibilities include:
- Youth Ministry
- Organize, oversee, and lead a vital ministry for the Chi Rho (middle school) and CYF (high school) youth programs.
- Encourage and train lay leadership to work with the youth as sponsors and chaperones.
- Plan and implement special activities, such as, lock-ins, retreats, etc.
- Plan and implement outreach and mission work for the youth groups.
- Establish and nurture a positive relationship with each youth and his/her parents in the congregation.
- Actively integrate the youth into all activities of church life.
- Regularly communicate with each youth and their parents, follow up on absent youth and reach out to guests at Sunday worship and youth group.
- Support and participate in the regional camping program and encourage youth to attend one of the Region’s summer camps.
- Work with the Children’s Ministry Team to build continuity from upper elementary into youth groups.
- Young Adult Ministry
- Work to develop and resource a college ministry in conjunction with local universities.
- Resource the young adult group, helping to organize gatherings, communicate with current and prospective members and integrate them into the life and leadership of the church.
- Provide specific ministry opportunities and programs for parents of children and youth, supporting them in their roles and addressing questions and challenges related to parenting.
- Work with the Ministerial Staff Team to plan family-specific ministry events and to incorporate families into the overall life and leadership of the church.
As part of the Ministerial Staff Team, the Minister of Youth and Families will participate in the total ministry of the church, sharing in responsibilities that may include: following up with guests and prospective members; hospital visitation; pastoral care and counseling; newsletter articles and other communications; weekly worship participation; preaching (as negotiated with the Senior Pastor); performing funerals and weddings; and doing other duties as assigned by the senior pastor as outlined in the minister’s portfolio.
Trust and integrity. Is a person of deep and vibrant faith; is regarded as dependable; is considered trustworthy; is committed to being fiscally responsible; honors confidentiality.
Interpersonal relationships. Relates well to all ages of people; builds relationships with all members of the congregation; is regarded as a team player; is considered personable and approachable; is open to new ideas.
Communication. Is an excellent communicator across a variety of mediums; is technologically adept and can use it to communicate effectively; can articulate thoughts and ideas clearly; is comfortable speaking in front of a large group.
Team player. Possesses a collaborative spirit; works well with other staff, ministry team members, and the congregation; desires to serve rather than be served; equips lay people to become leaders; is willing to help out wherever is needed; works well under pressure; is open to feedback and evaluation.
Organizing. Can gather and organize resources (people, funding, material, support) to get things done; can orchestrate multiple activities to accomplish goals; can use resources efficiently and effectively; meets deadlines.
Desire to grow. Is a self-motivator; focuses on continuing education and self-improvement efforts; pursues an active spiritual life; takes self-care seriously.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Seminary degree preferred
- Ordination by a recognized church body preferred
- Experience serving in a church setting required, especially in the area of youth ministry
Crestwood Christian Church
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
1882 Bellefonte Drive
January 10, 2019