St. John’s Episcopal Church, Charlotte, North Carolina
Assistant Youth Minister (Full Time, 40+ hours a week, periodic travel/overnight commitments)
The full-time Assistant Youth Minister will be responsible to help lead the nurture and sustaining of 6th-12th grade youth in Faith formation, spiritual growth, and active participation in parish life. The Assistant Youth Minister will build relationships with middle and high school youth and their families and use his or her spiritual gifts to create opportunities for youth in our community to grow in faith by through serving, praying, giving, learning, worshipping, and loving others. Candidates must demonstrate a strong personal faith in Christ, demonstrate gifts in relationship building, and show an ability to create a fun and safe space that offers a sense of community and belonging.
Under the leadership of the Youth Minister, while working collaboratively, the Assistant Youth Minister will be involved in all aspects of youth ministry, including, but not limited to:
• Spending dedicated time in worship at St. John’s and actively participating in the community.
• Building and maintaining faith-based relationships with the youth, their families, and youth ministry volunteers to strengthen both the youth community and the parish community.
• Using spiritual gifts to develop and execute a continuum of programming to help youth develop their relationship with Jesus Christ, with the parish, and with their peers. This programming includes youth Sunday School classes, youth group meetings and events, Confirmation classes, worship and prayer life, mission trips, retreats, service opportunities, pilgrimages, and fundraisers.
• Recruiting, equipping, and supporting a cadre of adult youth advisors and teachers to implement components of the youth program.
• Upholding policies and practices to maintain a physically, emotionally, and spiritually safe environment for the youth and the youth ministry team.
• Facilitate and help manage communications between the youth ministry program and the youth, parents, Parish, and volunteers, including a social media presence.
• Coordinating with other church ministries and staff (Children’s Education, Music, Scouting, VBS, Acolyte Corps, etc.) to facilitate their programs, minimize duplication, and encourage youth participation.
• Maintaining, tracking, and updating budget and expenses.
• Developing ministry relationships within the Diocese of North Carolina and the Episcopal Church.
• Strong personal Christian character, Biblical literacy, a devotion to grow in faith, and an active worship life.
• Interest, knowledge and understanding of Generation Z, youth culture, and adolescent development.
• Gifts and interest in relationship building; strong communication skills with students and adults.
• An understanding of the traditions and practices of the Episcopal Church.
• Ability to pay attention to detail and follow through independently and creatively.
• Knowledge and experience with social media, marketing, database/mass communication tools.
• A bachelor’s degree, preferably in a field related to youth ministry.
• At least two years of youth ministry experience in a paid or volunteer capacity.
• Ability to travel, work, and physically participate in a variety of settings/locations and flexibility to work evenings/weekends.
• A valid driver’s license, and willing to submit to full background check prior to employment.
Salary commensurate with experience. Interested applicants should direct their cover letter, resume, and any questions to Jillianne Booth at email@example.com, or to the address below no later than October 15, 2019:
Jillianne Booth, Youth Minister 1623 Carmel Road
St. John’s Episcopal Church Charlotte, NC 28226
St. John's Episcopal Church
1623 Carmel Road Charlotte, NC 28226
September 11, 2019